• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

All users..read...Search Techniques!!

Yes makes perfect sense. It keeps the reader heads on the drive from racing all over all the stored data.
I believe it might also help to narrow down your search.
For example if you are pretty sure what you want is in the Apex forum just search that instead of All Forums.

Merging threads ;)!
Swiss Sledder said:
Have you ever tried using the search button on the top of the page to see if a topic has already been covered? Have you ever tried the search button but the list of results was far too many to read through? :o| You are not alone. Follow these tips and you will discover what a valuable tool it can become.

You need to understand that it doesn't work like a standard internet search engine. If you search for oil usage, you will get 34 pages of results. Why :? Because the TY search feature looks for both words oil and usage, and returns any threads that have either words in them. You need to use the logical operators AND, OR, and NOT. For example, if you enter oil and usage you will only get threads that have both words in them. The list of matching threads is only 2 pages long.

Another important search feature that can be helpful is the search previous section, whereby you limit how far back to search. If you can't find the topic about the RX-1 Suspension changes that was recently discussed, simply search for RX-1 and suspension, and change the search previous criteria to 1 month. The list returned is less than 1 page.

When reviewing the search results showing the list of matching threads, it is important not to click on the thread you want to view. If you do, your search results page is lost when you try to go back to that page and you will get a warning message that the search results page is no longer available. A simple way around this is to move the cursor and right click your mouse button on the thread you want to view, then select Open in New Window (open in new tab for those using Modzilla). This will enable you to view the thread while preserving your search results page.

Use the above tips to improve your searching capabilities and to reduce
the amount of redundant posts. :D

Again most important, when viewing the search results and you find a thread you want to view, move your mouse cursor over the thread and then right click on your mouse and select "Open in New Window". This will open up the thread in a new window while preserving your search results. Otherwise you the search page is lost and you have to start the whole search over again.

Tork said:
Another way to search is with google

Searching the forums places a tremendous load on our server hardware and diminishes the forum browsing experience for everyone.
However there are viable alternatives available.

Give google a try, it works!

Him said:
Or use Firefox as an browser and just hold down CTRL when you click on an link, it opens the new link in a new tab in the same window.

Then I don't have to have 1 zillion windows open, and I don't have to use Internet Explorer. ;)!

When you do a search and show results by 'post' instead of thread - how do you click on that specific post so that it opens the particular thread at the post your reading?

I was trying to find a specific part of a 10 page thread, the particular post shows up as a search result but I can't open it up, it just brings me back to the first page of the thread instead of directing me to the post within the thread.

Search

Once your search is complete, keep that browser window page open and then on each thread touch with your cursor, right click and open each of them in a new window. This will keep the original window open with that search. Then you can view, post or what ever without having to search a 2nd, 3rd or 4rth time over and over.

Too bad that the site's programming won't realize that a person is in a search and automatically open results of searches in a new window.

Re: Search

mtkaboater said:
Once your search is complete, keep that browser window page open and then on each thread touch with your cursor, right click and open each of them in a new window. This will keep the original window open with that search. Then you can view, post or what ever without having to search a 2nd, 3rd or 4rth time over and over.

Too bad that the site's programming won't realize that a person is in a search and automatically open results of searches in a new window.

Change your browser setting to open all new links in a new window...

If I could change my browser settings to open all new links from this site in a new window, I would. But that isn't good for the majority of my work on the computer. But thanks for the option!

search title only?

I looked in the search techniques but was unable to find the answer. I don't see any option for searching only topics in the 4 stroke forum. Am
I missing something or is it just how it works? Makes it difficult searching for some info.

Re: search title only?

drumz11 said:
I looked in the search techniques but was unable to find the answer. I don't see any option for searching only topics in the 4 stroke forum. Am
I missing something or is it just how it works? Makes it difficult searching for some info.

Doing a search on TY4Stroke only searches the topics on TY4Stroke. Doing a search on totallyamaha.net only searches the topics on totallyamaha.net. Doing a search on one site does not search both sites.

Or you can use a Google search and put Totallyamaha at the end of what you are searching for and it will find the topics on both websites.

The problem I'm having is trying to search the 4stroke forums in topic only... instead of searching the entire text or topic and text, which I'm able to do on totallyyamaha.net. Maybe it isn't an option on the 4 strokeforum? I don't see any option to limit the search that way... which may be the case. Just trying to narrow search results instead of every thread coming up that that has the word in the wntire text instead of just the topic title. :dunno:

drumz11 said:
The problem I'm having is trying to search the 4stroke forums in topic only... instead of searching the entire text or topic and text, which I'm able to do on totallyyamaha.net. Maybe it isn't an option on the 4 strokeforum? I don't see any option to limit the search that way... which may be the case. Just trying to narrow search results instead of every thread coming up that that has the word in the wntire text instead of just the topic title. :dunno:

Did you try adding an "and" with every word?

All gauges went out on my 2005 Venture rs, and all rear lights. Head light still works. Any suggestions.

jabacon6669 said:
All gauges went out on my 2005 Venture rs, and all rear lights. Head light still works. Any suggestions.

Try posting in the correct section might help....probably a fuse.

Back