• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Aluminum Charge Tubes

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2019 Yamaha Sidewinder X-TX LE 141
Has anyone ridden with aluminum charge tubes like the ones available from Excell? Looking to add a couple "hot rod" parts to my sled so it's a little different than my father's (who ordered the same snowmobile).

Looking to see if this is a worthwhile venture and actually is worth the $240?

I have them on my 50th LTX. They look great, much better than the stock rubber charge tubes. As far as noticing a performance gain...not real sure. This I can tell you is aluminum is much better at dissipating heat vs. rubber. For me it was more about the bling factor...lol.

I have both aluminum and silicone. The aluminum in theory on paper should dissipate heat more efficiently. You do add 2 additional leak points with the setup though vs silicone keeping just one connection on each hose end. You likely wont physically notice a difference so it comes down to visual preference imo

Aaron (Excell) told me they keep the air cooler when the exchanger up front inevitably plugs with snow. Snow and air hitting the tubes keeps it cooler than rubber.

I have both aluminum and silicone. The aluminum in theory on paper should dissipate heat more efficiently. You do add 2 additional leak points with the setup though vs silicone keeping just one connection on each hose end. You likely wont physically notice a difference so it comes down to visual preference imo

Please explain? You lost me when you mentioned the "one connection on each hose end". Thanks!

Please explain? You lost me when you mentioned the "one connection on each hose end". Thanks!
Silicone will mount the same way as stock rubber. One hose clamp on each end. Aluminum requires a silicone boot on each end to attach to the intercooler/airbox/turbo compressor. Each silicone adapter boot needs 2 clamps. So one to hold the silicone boot to the charge tube side and one on the other side whether it be to the intercooler or Airbox etc. Instead of being like the silicone sliding over the intercooler flange and using one clamp. So you go from 4 clamps to 8 overall. Doubling the potential "areas" for boost leaks.
If you check and keep you clamps tight on either setup you should be perfectly fine. But it is one of the differences that often times goes overlooked.

Silicone will mount the same way as stock rubber. One hose clamp on each end. Aluminum requires a silicone boot on each end to attach to the intercooler/airbox/turbo compressor. Each silicone adapter boot needs 2 clamps. So one to hold the silicone boot to the charge tube side and one on the other side whether it be to the intercooler or Airbox etc. Instead of being like the silicone sliding over the intercooler flange and using one clamp. So you go from 4 clamps to 8 overall. Doubling the potential "areas" for boost leaks.
If you check and keep you clamps tight on either setup you should be perfectly fine. But it is one of the differences that often times goes overlooked.

Well that couldn't have been more obvious...sorry about that one guys (just testing you ;))

Silicone tubes keep the heat in, aluminum at least help cool the air. If the choice is there I'd go aluminum.

I have them on my 50th LTX. They look great, much better than the stock rubber charge tubes. As far as noticing a performance gain...not real sure. This I can tell you is aluminum is much better at dissipating heat vs. rubber. For me it was more about the bling factor...lol.

I agree!! I added them for the looks and the silicone colored ones could not keep the color from the heat.

Save your money for a couple belts!

Most of the Sidewinders in our riding area have seen high mileage on belts (5,000+ miles). I'm not too worried about those. I just blew an 8DN belt in 100 miles on my stock Viper and the 8JPs lasted about 4,000 miles each (the first belt lasted until about 5,500 miles and I towed another sled for 200 miles, so it was replaced. My last 8JP was on the sled up until 100 miles before trade. I was trying out the 8DN, blew it in 100 miles, and traded in the sled with the same 8JP).

Most of the Sidewinders in our riding area have seen high mileage on belts (5,000+ miles). I'm not too worried about those. I just blew an 8DN belt in 100 miles on my stock Viper and the 8JPs lasted about 4,000 miles each (the first belt lasted until about 5,500 miles and I towed another sled for 200 miles, so it was replaced. My last 8JP was on the sled up until 100 miles before trade. I was trying out the 8DN, blew it in 100 miles, and traded in the sled with the same 8JP).

I have a set of blue from Excell..top notch...might be selling the sled...so

Back