• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another donut / Y-pipe victim

Sled_Doctor

Veteran
Put me down as another victim of the exhaust donut / y-pipe issue. Last winter sled starting backfiring on last ride of the year. Finally got around to tearing it apart this week and found both donuts on the left side completely gone and a quarter size hole in the Y-pipe. Thanks to Port Yamaha and $350 later, I should be back on the trail this weekend. Great post in the FAQ area for the step by step repair procedure. (man you got to take a lot of stuff off to get down to the exhaust side of the engine).

I replaced my donuts at 2900 miles on my 07 Apex.

And I just replace the donuts on my cousins 06 Attak with 2400 miles on it. Both sleds had a weird sound on cold startup. took them apart and they were trashed.

Luckily it didn't damage the y-pipes though.

I think I will be changing donuts every season for piece of mind.

I don't know about replacing every season, but I agree that these need to be periodically inspected to prevent major damage. It's just a shame that you have to pull so much of the sled apart to even look at them.

Sled_Doctor said:
It's just a shame that you have to pull so much of the sled apart to even look at them.

Yeah, when I first tore the sled down I was thinking these damn things are this far down in here somewhere! But after doing it a couple of times its actually pretty easy.

drewfus04 said:
has yamaha acknowledged this problem yet?

Yes, they have... My uncles '08 Apex GT has a bracket welded to the Y-pipe exhust pipe not allowing the entire exhaust and header assemblies to flex as much especiallly in rough conditions. The exhaust is supported to the tunnel and I simply think there was way to much deflection in that area and that's why we are seeing poor life of donuts and some with cracked headers.

It's best to catch the bad gaskets before the pipe burns through. Also check the exhaust joints. I had one cracked in half and had to replace.

I have a right side Y pipe and all 4 exhaust joints for sale if anyone needs them PM me. I may be able to throw in a gasket or two also.

Wayne

Just as an FYI, I decided to change mine at 3500 miles as a precaution. We opened up the Y pipe and all donuts looked like new! They have never been done but they were only about 25% worn compared to the new ones. I have an 08 LTX. Yamaha must have changed something.

SIMMER said:
Just as an FYI, I decided to change mine at 3500 miles as a precaution. We opened up the Y pipe and all donuts looked like new! They have never been done but they were only about 25% worn compared to the new ones. I have an 08 LTX. Yamaha must have changed something.

I had to get mine replaced at 3000 miles on a '08 APEX LTX the 2 left ones were completely SHOT...I don't get it, is why do some last for ever and others don't, is it our driving style or trail conditions I ride very high speeds but not overly aggressive and GROOMED trails...my chain case gasket also got sucked in due to extensive high speed riding which is a common problem...

apltx08 said:
SIMMER said:

I had to get mine replaced at 3000 miles on a '08 APEX LTX the 2 left ones were completely SHOT...I don't get it, is why do some last for ever and others don't, is it our driving style or trail conditions I ride very high speeds but not overly aggressive and GROOMED trails...my chain case gasket also got sucked in due to extensive high speed riding which is a common problem...

Hmmmm...funny We ride similar trails. High speed, groomed. I would say I ride pretty agressive but no jumping or ditch banging. I will do about 5000 kms in District 14 & 15 (OFSC).

SIMMER said:
apltx08 said:
SIMMER said:

Hmmmm...funny We ride similar trails. High speed, groomed. I would say I ride pretty agressive but no jumping or ditch banging. I will do about 5000 kms in District 14 & 15 (OFSC).

Same here no airborn stuff and when the getting gets rough I realy take it easy, I ride District 1 "OFSC" and Quebec Laurentians an avg of 3000 to 5000 miles a year

I wished I would have posted here first to see if anyone had a takeoff Y-pipe before I laid down the money....My riding style is similar not excessive high speed runs and all groomed trail riding.

when i changed mine at 3000mile 2 where shot. I used the ultra copper as per the post on frequently asked questions and i replaced all 4.

My question to everyone that have done this is , Did the ultra copper help?
only have 300mile on new ones do to rain after Christmas.

But its snowing like mad in district 1 ofsc.

Sorry if i'm hijacking your post. :4STroke:

Back