• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another donut / Y-pipe victim

Donut

Let me get this right... The donuts are between the flange pipes and y pipes where the clamps are??? If so, there is no number on the microfiche for this part, or is it actually part of the flex pipe??

Thanks!!!

It should be part #4 Gasket, Exhaust Pipe 8FA-14623-00-00 on the fiche.

SIMMER said:
Sorry guys but I think they only updated the LTX-GT 40th Editions LaLaLa :tg: :moon:

All '08 and newer APEX'S have the updated header & exhaust extra centre support, thats the ONLY change they have made so far on the exhaust system...its still the same donuts as previous models and everything else.

click on link to see the support I'm talking about...

http://www.ty4stroke.com/download.php?id=50305

mine went last year wirh 2800 miles. donuts destroyed as well as pipes. thankfully it still had warranty. if you can check out your donuts when you start to hear backfiring its a good idea. 1 or 2 donnuts are better than replacing the pipes. yamaha needs a solution for these poor pipes. instead of loosing 1 pound by changing the type of metal, they should go with the rx-1 pipes.

apltx08 said:
SIMMER said:
Sorry guys but I think they only updated the LTX-GT 40th Editions LaLaLa :tg: :moon:

All '08 and newer APEX'S have the updated header & exhaust extra centre support, thats the ONLY change they have made so far on the exhaust system...its still the same donuts as previous models and everything else.

click on link to see the support I'm talking about...

http://www.ty4stroke.com/download.php?id=50305

Can this support be retrofitted to an 06 or 07 apex? I'm looking for something as a long term fix. 7500 miles on my sleds and in for repair twice for exhaust problems

15,000mls, replaced everything, heat shields, headers and manifolds.
i have two y pipes for sale look like new takoffs if anyone needs some.
cant believe this guy let the sled get that far gone, definate fire hazard.

friends rtx needed them at 4000 mls and one y pipe was damaged, warrente on the parts and he did the work.

We took my son's 06 Apex apart and found that the bad donut had a loose clamp. All the rest were OK.
Had to grind the stop off a bit to make the clamp tighten (read about that trick on another post on TY). Maybe clamp tightness is part of the problem.

I looked at the online fiche to see if I could find the part numbers of the update. I don't know if this is the entire list but I think this is a start:

08 APEX GT changes frame / exhaust update

• # description part number qty price
    51 STAY, MUFFER  8FR-2194L-00-00 1 $21.08
    52 DAMPER, MUFFLER  8FA-14737-00-00 2 $1.01
    53 COLLAR  90387-08084-00 1 $7.17
    54 STAY, MUFFLER  8FR-2194J-00-00 1 $4.03

^21 SILENCER ASSY  8FP-14750-10-00 1 $485.23
    ^24 BOLT, WITH WASHER  90119-08112-00 1 $0.55
    ^28 PLUG  90338-20004-00 4 $1.56
    ^ From "Exhaust" fiche page, the rest from the "Frame" fiche

*63 RIVET, BLIND (5 per pack) 90267-48177-00 10 $3.19
    *64 RIVET, BLIND (10 per pack) 90267-47186-00 4 $5.38
    *Not sure if these are the right rivets.... just different than '06 Apex GT
Sorry about the format... I wonder if these can be retrofitted? are there any other parts needed?

-5:28pm updated list to remove 49 and 50.

The "y" pipes appear to be the same from 06 to 08. the muffler looks different because the 08 had the mount welded between the pipes.

Thanks apltx08 for the '08 picture!

Here's another post which Yamahammer485 got pretty innovative I think it could work I'd be a little concerned about maybe a bit of vibration transfering threw the tunnel if it touches the actual exhaust and might WEAR a hole eventualy, I think you need some kind of damping, I like the concept ;)!

http://www.ty4stroke.com/download.php?id=50587

apltx08 said:
Here's another post which Yamahammer485 got pretty innovative I think it could work I'd be a little concerned about maybe a bit of vibration transfering threw the tunnel if it touches the actual exhaust and might WEAR a hole eventualy, I think you need some kind of damping, I like the concept ;)!

http://www.ty4stroke.com/download.php?id=50587
I like the general idea, but I'd be worried about the tunnel protectors holding up over time. The rear most rivets on my left tunnel protector pulled thru the on their own with no weight on them.

Thinking along the same lines. After I'm out of warranty I might fab up something. Rather than buy an 08 muffler to get one with a center mount, I'd get a piece of exhaust pipe, cut it in half to make a saddle for the titanium pipe to lay on then weld a flat piece of metal between the halfs. Drill a hole in the center. Then I'd buy the Yamaha parts #51-54, 24, 26 and rivet them to the tunnel and bolt my new bracket thru the hole while under the exhaust pipes to support them. It would keep the pipes from dropping down.. hose clamps would keep it from bouncing up. they might slip enough as the exhaust expands and contracts from heat too. The stock Dampers would keep some of the vibration out of the tunnel.

I don't think I can weld a mount to factory the titanium muffler so this saddle idea is my first thought..

\__/=^=\__/

crude but this is the half exhaust \__/
== is the flat plate
^ is the bolt to go into the yamaha stay #51

Hey, maybe Yamaha could make a retrofit kit for us with 06-07 sleds? It would save them a ton of YES money on Y pipes. Maybe it would make the donuts last more than 3-4000 miles?

SIMMER said:
Just as an FYI, I decided to change mine at 3500 miles as a precaution. We opened up the Y pipe and all donuts looked like new! They have never been done but they were only about 25% worn compared to the new ones. I have an 08 LTX. Yamaha must have changed something.

Seems like Yamaha's redesign is working based on this 3500 mile report!

Back