• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another junk axel because of design

gpxsrx

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
way to many 2 strokes
Another junk drive axel in friends
2016 XTX with 7000km. Had it at a dealer for service last March to check everything over before his Warranty ran out go figure. Changed tie rods under warranty to apparently to fix loose steering.
Steering is still loose pivot arm is the problem in his case.
So Cat/yamaha must know about the drive axel problem on the brake caliper side BUT will they warranty his axel ? Highly doubt it. I guess his only solution is to buy a new axel which is not his fault so sad people are getting screwed all the time from dealers in this area of eastern Ontario. A13C54E6-F7BB-4B0B-97DA-69F78C7B17E3.jpeg
A13C54E6-F7BB-4B0B-97DA-69F78C7B17E3.jpeg

Is there a known problem with the axles? What’s the cause and the fix?

Is there a known problem with the axles?
-Yes. Design error. Should have a locking collar like before. Interference fit is not the right choice in this location.

What’s the cause?
not counting engineering error in design...
-Just a theory, but improper track tension I believe can escalate the inner bearing race spinning on the shaft. Running a track to "just before it ratchets" may not be the most correct answer. 1.5" at 20lbs will hold the interference fit bearing tighter. Again, just a theory. Loose track tension wears out hyfax faster too. Another discussion...

and the fix?
-Barn of Parts Drive Shaft Saver when installed properly considering all the variables involved with an interference fit bearing.

Many high mileage, 10,000 mile+, machines have not spun the drive shaft bearing. Some low & medium mileage machines have issues. And some don't know there's a problem. They just ride until something breaks.

I sold a 6500 mile machine that had no evidence of a spinning drive shaft bearing.
I now have a 4500 mile & 2200 mile machine that have no evidence of drive shaft bearing spinning.
Drive Shaft Saver is being installed as peace of mind.

Yamaha should still cover it under warranty if you bust some balls. They will say NO the first time you ask, then they will say you are the first person on record to have this problem,, and probably say no a second time. If you bust some more balls it should be covered under warranty.

Its crazy how reluctant Yamaha corporate is to fix some know warranty issues on these sleds. I guess they don't realize it hurts sales of their other products.

Yamaha should still cover it under warranty if you bust some balls. They will say NO the first time you ask, then they will say you are the first person on record to have this problem,, and probably say no a second time. If you bust some more balls it should be covered under warranty.

Its crazy how reluctant Yamaha corporate is to fix some know warranty issues on these sleds. I guess they don't realize it hurts sales of their other products.

Yea that’s total BS! My starter gear busted in my Viper and it was happening to a lot of sleds.
BS dealer told me they had never seen it before.
When I picked it up I had to go back in the service area to get it and I spoke to the mechanic.......apparently he was the “starter guy” and said he had done so many he could do them in his sleep.
I HATE salesman and counter personnel, just a bunch of BS artists.
OH yea they said the oil change wasn’t covered......Only $145 plus tax.
Gimmy a break, for some junk #*$&@ semi-synthetic Yama crap and a filter that’s substandard to a Walmart filter.

Back