• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another New Forum Request!!!

Alright! At least now, I will be able to read up on some reports prior to ordering one for the SAR team. Way to go, Mr. Sled.

RX-E

GREAT!!!! ;)! Way to go MrSled!!! :D

I just hope someone has some riding-impressions on these machines, and put them up here. ;)! :rocks:

VK Professional Owners Report

2006 VK Professional.
These type of machines were traditionally used as utility sleds. I still have my 2001 VK 540 as a second sled for the kids however I routinely ride the Pro.I have 1100kms on it so far this year. It has excellent accelleration and a very good top speed ( ive only had it above 100kph once, but others around here claim it can reach 135-140kph). It is very good on gas getting around 5 kilometers per liter (15-20 mpg). It can haul a heavy load easily and ride 2 up comfortably. The dealer in this area told me today that he had sold 44 of these units. There have been very few reported mechanical problems that I am aware of except for the rpm speedo gauge getting moisture inside and being hard to see when it condenses on the lens, and requiring wide ski skins in very deep powder snow. My previous sled (except for the VK540) was a 2003 RX1 Mountain. For the type of riding I do the VK Pro is a better sled. Not knocking the RX1 as it is a great machine however I needed a 2upper with storage space and wide track. For anyone considering a utility sled I would strongly recommend they take a look at this unit. It is more appropriately classified as a big comfortable 2 up tourer that can play and work equally well. Personally I would like a wider ski stance, but my brother who has one also says he wouldnt change anything. Next year they are rumoured to be getting Hi and low gear.

Thanks Tom, I live about 2500 miles north of you and also have the RX-1 Mountain. Probably for the same reasons. It is good to hear the report, but we rarely get deep snow around here. I will definitely include this sled on my wishlist to my dealer. Thanks.

RX-E

I have checked several fisherman with the Pro. They seem to like it immensely. One guy who breaks alot of trail said it doesn't steer in the bush very well, but none of those 20 in trackers do. Another guy tows his big ice hut around through slush and stuff with no problems at all.

A friend of a friend told me his Pro is way too heavy and got it stuck, smoked a belt, complaining about no hi/low gear.

I tried one guy's out and I had it up to 75mph (speedo) on the lake in powder. It sure didn't handle or feel like a utility sled. I was very impressed with the thing, felt light and very comfortable to drive.

If I had the need for one, and I was rich like you guys I would buy one.

hi

what is the top speed ypur getting from your yk.I see the message said 75 is that about it.I have a venture tf with the tthe same motor and get about 90 -100 mph oon good going.My dad own a bear cat 660 he only gets 55mph and he heard that s all the new vk gets.Is that true.

75 mph on dreamspeedo in the powder on the lake. The thing had balls. I am sure it would go faster on hard pack.

If I can find the time and a suitable place I will take the VK Pro out for a test of top speed in 1/4 mile using my radar gun. I will also try to get some photos and videos of this very informal test. It will be interesting to see if the speedo is off and if so by how much. If any of the local riders show up while I am testing and want to run their sleds(any brand or size) I will record and post this data also.

I took the VK pro down on the river this evening. I made two runs and a friend made one run on a very good condition 2002 VK 540, all in about 1000 feet. My first run was 121 k/h on radar. I did not notice the speedo since this was my first run at full throttle and I was concentrating on a few other things. The second run was 125 h/hon radar and was 139-140k/h on speedo. The VK 540 did 94K/h on radar at 100 or so on speedo. This was my first high speed run on this sled. Also this was the first time my friend and his daughter used the radar and camera. I will try to get the video posted here if anyone is interested. I will try to get several local sleds to run later(various brands and models all daily drivers) to get a real world comparison for anyone who may be interested in such things.

so far i am very pleased with the vk professional. after owning four polaris widetracks i know what to expect from a widetrack and this machine meets and exceeds my expectations.. top speed so far on a lake with fair conditions was 130km.. Gas mileage around 15 mile per gallon. The only problem i have encountered so far is some spark plug fouling and i haven't had that for the past 1500km.. I own a back country fishing and hunting camp and use this sled to pull heavy loads into camp.. It does the job nicely and when i want to ride with some freinds with their powder machines i can..The professional is a little hard to handle in deep snow but all widetracks are.. I have done over 50.000 miles on widtracks since i purchased my first one in 1990.. If this machine stands the test of time it is the ideal widetrack...

Just got back from a 12 day hunting trip on the VK Pro. Put on 1400 kms during the trip and now have 2658 kms on it. Got about 200+ kms per tank of gas when hauling the hunting kometic. Used it in these conditions throughout the trip: deep snow, rain with deep slush, on the hills and with 1500 lbs in tow at times. The mechanicals performed flawlessly in typical Yamaha fashion. Now to the performance.

Deep snow: The machine doesnt nosedive at all as was rumoured by some. Even in the deepest snow the skiis always were higher than the track. The power in these conditions must be used judiciously (not above 5000 rpm) or it will overpower the track and spin in powder but not bad in wet snow at all.

Rain with deep slush: When towing a heavy load it performs similar to other widetracks, with the exception that it can easily provide too much power to the track and spin out. Low gear would be beneficial here to allow slower machine speeds at higher engine speeds. When not towing it can go over slush at higher speeds due to the excellent power available without even sinking down to the bottom. At 75kms it then comes up on top and reminds me of the narrow tracked high powered regular sleds.

On the hills: It can go straight up many steep hills with or without a load in tow when the power is turned on before the approach. It was a little tippy at first however side slopes werent a problem when the front shock springs were set to the stiffest setting. A sway bar would come in handy if one were available.

Riding two up and towing 6 full 5 gallon gas cans plus all the gear needed for this trip in the kometic you can easily hit 100 kph. I didnt go any faster or hold that speed for long for safety reasons.

Overall this machine performed better than I suspected and very much better than other people had been telling me. Tightening the front ski shock springs made this machine very much better to handle, and I recommend anyone who ownes one to try it. Next years model will have low and high gear with reverse and possibly the sway bar, and will be very hard to beat at almost any task.

Quit playing for fun and turn PRO.

Tom Lee - great info in your report :)

Turbospeed

MC Xpress Sweden has a turbokit already, over 200hp and makes around 190kmh! 201m in 6.17s, not bad for 400 kilos + weight of driver! It accelerates harder from the beginning than a Apex Mountain with 260hp. The logs will fall off before you know it! :)

Back