• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another primary clutch failure

It wouldn't have even mattered in this case. As per the original comment, 'the rollers had a bit of play'.
A bit? Look at the pics. They're f***ed. And they still drove it.
I also question if they were even oem rollers and bushings.
I'm getting more than a little fed up when people fill their clutch full of non-oem parts, explode them, come here to vent and claim Yamaha builds a garbage clutch.
Have a snickers

I believe OCD uses blue smurf locker. No playtex products!
Guess the pic was too big to post,but looking at the amount of wear im guessing the oem rollers are going to last 4500 miles

Out on the lake this weekend with a buddy of mine. First pull rolling on from about 30 mph, and this happened to him at about 100.

Things I know:

• STM weights
  • Dalton B/G primary, Dalton B/O secondary
  • 22/41, 8JP
  • 1.25 Ice Ripper track
  • Rollers had a bit of play in them and were going to be swapped out
It's been posted before, and I'll say it again -- these primary clutches NEED to be inspected frequently, and I would not be doing any hard pulls unless you know everything is 100% in your driveline.

I have no confidence in the stock primary, and won't be running it next season.View attachment 147949View attachment 147949 View attachment 147950
View attachment 147949 View attachment 147950 View attachment 147951
Do you think the rollers caused this , looks like the weight snapped in half

I'm sure you know this but ideally, the roller bushing fits the pin it rotates on with no lateral play. In other words, it should fit virtually line-to-line meaning no play. Same goes for bushings in weights.
Same goes for sliders that hold spider. A little is allot, meaning even a little play can quickly become a big problem. Keep things snug and tight. Check often. As seen on this forum, lot so guys can run a long time without seemingly little issues, and some have lots of issues even with low hours/miles. Lots of variables.
seems like the after market weights are failing like the weight broke

The weight did break in half, know of a few from this manufacturer.
The weight did break in half but after it went past the roller. There’s no way that little stub left on the pivot caused sheave to break inward like in the pic.
I’m sure when it went past the roller and broke the sheave it got behind the belt and broke off the weight. Not the weights fault, worn roller.

I’m thinking I’m going with a TAPP Primary next year, and a Pro 4 Secondary to compliment the TAPP, and be done with it!!

I love this machine...nothing can hang with it when it’s stock, and Tuned it’s an absolute Killer!! But I’m tired of worrying about these clutches when I’m mashing the flipper at 270 plus HP. I haven’t had any catastrophic failures...Yet??? But only Have about 2400 miles on my Winder. First year stock, this year SM Tuned. Blew a belt last year stock, and this year Tuned.

Cat seemed to address some of the first year issues with their Team Clutches, but Yamaha hasn’t really done anything to theirs(besides springs/helix), and that’s disappointing because Yamaha clutching used to be the bomb on Apex etc. And yes, this is 55 plus HP more in stock form then any Apex, but Yamaha should have really beefed up their clutching for the Winder knowing it is a powerhouse before releasing it. Cat clutching is better and beefier now imo, than the Yamaha stock clutching...who would have thought???

Too much power for the Yamaha Stock clutches over time imo. And if you’re tuned it’s compounded. Those guys who are tuned and having zero issues with stock clutches, you’re the fortunate ones, and good for you guys. But these Winder clutches have issues period!!

Just my 2 cents.

I’m thinking I’m going with a TAPP Primary next year, and a Pro 4 Secondary to compliment the TAPP, and be done with it!!

I love this machine...nothing can hang with it when it’s stock, and Tuned it’s an absolute Killer!! But I’m tired of worrying about these clutches when I’m mashing the flipper at 270 plus HP. I haven’t had any catastrophic failures...Yet??? But only Have about 2400 miles on my Winder. First year stock, this year SM Tuned. Blew a belt last year stock, and this year Tuned.

Cat seemed to address some of the first year issues with their Team Clutches, but Yamaha hasn’t really done anything to theirs(besides springs/helix), and that’s disappointing because Yamaha clutching used to be the bomb on Apex etc. And yes, this is 55 plus HP more in stock form then any Apex, but Yamaha should have really beefed up their clutching for the Winder knowing it is a powerhouse before releasing it. Cat clutching is better and beefier now imo, than the Yamaha stock clutching...who would have thought???

Too much power for the Yamaha Stock clutches over time imo. And if you’re tuned it’s compounded. Those guys who are tuned and having zero issues with stock clutches, you’re the fortunate ones, and good for you guys. But these Winder clutches have issues period!!

Just my 2 cents.

Honestly, I was thinking the same way after hearing all these horror stories, but the belt blowing was just set-up issues and clutches breaking are also setup or lack of maintenance. I was looking to buy a TAPP, but there was no guarantee that belt life would be better and the sled would likely be the same speed or even slower. I can live the the rattles, I have over 11000 kms on my stock primary running at least 270r tune. I have over 5000kms on my primary rollers as well. The team clutches are junk. They crack or the bearing fails, and they are slower.

Honestly, I was thinking the same way after hearing all these horror stories, but the belt blowing was just set-up issues and clutches breaking are also setup or lack of maintenance. I was looking to buy a TAPP, but there was no guarantee that belt life would be better and the sled would likely be the same speed or even slower. I can live the the rattles, I have over 11000 kms on my stock primary running at least 270r tune. I have over 5000kms on my primary rollers as well. The team clutches are junk. They crack or the bearing fails, and they are slower.

A highly recommended and talented Performance shop that I deal with, and did my tunes and dialed my Winder in, says the TAPP Primary and Pro 4 Secondary is the “ultimate set up” (in their opinion). Nothing slower about any of that...in fact the performance of just the TAPP Primary alone is a huge upgrade, and both those clutches together, Far, far exceeds the stock set up. An expensive option for sure...but it’s far superior in every way compared to stock.

They’ve tested the set up(on Tuned Winders)and it has been beating(mopping up was their words) any of the stock clutched set ups ....it just plain works.

That’s where I think I’m heading for next season...or at least I feel that way currently.

Back