• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another victim of Cat Quality!

PowderFalcon

Pinnin' it!
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2021 Sidewinder SRX
Well, looks like I’m after a new drive too.

started the season with 5000km on my machine. Installed the BOP wedge at 35lbs as preventative measure hoping my bearing hadn’t spun.

No luck! 9000km now and peeled brake off. Shaft diameter is 43.95mm :( looks like my rotor has a divot in it from the bearing race spinning too. Sorry pic is upside down

Attachments

• AF68B613-091E-40B3-8F54-C2BA64175FC8.jpeg
    AF68B613-091E-40B3-8F54-C2BA64175FC8.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 406
  • 5517886A-EA27-4439-ABF4-D59FD56AC388.jpeg
    5517886A-EA27-4439-ABF4-D59FD56AC388.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 404

wonder how the guy made out that put a set screw in the shaft

That didn’t work, have to have it welded and turned down to fit better.

So you installed the BOP wedge without knowing if you had a worn shaft at the beginning of the season?

I am one guy who drilled and tapped for set screw,i have not taken apart for past two years,but i feel it is still holding so far.

I tried set screw and green loctite on a brand new shaft and bearing. 1700 miles later is had just started spinning on the shaft and the green loctite was gone. A setscrew will not hold it for any length of time IMO.

started the season with 5000km on my machine. Installed the BOP wedge at 35lbs as preventative measure hoping my bearing hadn’t spun.

No luck! 9000km now and peeled brake off. Shaft diameter is 43.95mm :( looks like my rotor has a divot in it from the bearing race spinning too. Sorry pic is upside down

I'm surprised you only tightened it down to 35 ft.lbs on an already worn shaft. I figured there would be failures from those who had not tightened down enough.

I used 35lbs and a bit more on a new shaft and bearing using anti-sieze on the bolt and wedge, hopeful that was enough to hold it. Won't know till I tear into it next Dec for certain, but I expect it will be fine.

I put 5713kms on a new shaft with the wedge and all is good.
Also put on 1000kms our Viper with slightly worn shaft with the wedge and all good.

No sweat on brake rotor. Just clean it up on that side with a disc sander or die grinder. Brake pads center the rotor anyway so no big deal. Shaft is toast.

My dealership is having the shafts welded and re-turned. Then they are having a groove machined in the shaft and the inner race of the bearing so they can add a key.
I'd like to see how they are going to put a keyway in bearing. That inner race is not designed for that - it's actually pretty thin.
For same or less money, just get shaft spray welded and turned down to interference fit on new bearing. Permanently fixed.

I will have mine welded and turned down over the summer so its done correctly. I installed the wedge at 1600 miles with a new bearing and it took much more torque than 35ft lbs.,I dont remember what I ended up with. I removed the caliper and test fitted the bearing while adding 5 ft lbs of torque at a time till I got a snug but removable fit as I found it a bit tricky to get a feel for it.. I did not measure the shaft and it did not appear to have been spinning but I cant confirm.

No sweat on brake rotor. Just clean it up on that side with a disc sander or die grinder. Brake pads center the rotor anyway so no big deal. Shaft is toast.
You'll have to shim to brake rotor to take the play out of it, but no big deal

Back