• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Any experience with SPI starter motors?

Mooseman

I'm not all knowing. Post your question in forum.
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'07 Venture MP (gone)
'07 Phazer FX (gone)
'09 Phazer GT (gone)
'10 RS Venture GT (My current ride)
'10 Nytro FX (son's)
With my current starter motor crisis, looking for one for my MP. Anybody use SPI starter motors? I can get one for about half the price of the Yamaha part, even though it's shipped from the USA.

I've been installing the DB electrical starters but they sold out. A lot of start issues this season. The last one I installed came from Rick's Motorsports Electrics. I've read a few good reviews but this is the first time I've ordered from them.

https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/results/

The DB electrical ones are good if you can find one.

I would be hesitant to put another stock one in, as me and my brother both had our stock ones fail on the nytros with not that many kms. For some reason apexs dont seem to have starter issues, im not sure why.

The DB electrical ones are good if you can find one.

I would be hesitant to put another stock one in, as me and my brother both had our stock ones fail on the nytros with not that many kms. For some reason apexs dont seem to have starter issues, im not sure why.

Could be due to the 4 cylinder having better balance than a 3 cylinder.

My stocker lasted me 14k km, and that's with extra startups due to "push the reverse button and nothing happens" where I have to shut off and restart the sled to get reverse working. I seem to be having a relay or ignition switch issue with the starter as it seems to be burning them up.

Checked DB and they don't even list the 500cc at all. Good prices though. Ricks don't list them neither except to rebuild your old one. Not convenient or maybe not possible with my cooked starters.

Guess fleabay and SPI are my only choices. The pics I've seen look a lot like the OEM.

Thanks. I'll call them up tomorrow.

Well, found one at Bent Toys in ON. $185 + $22 shipping 3 days.

Nobody sells those SPI starters in Canada and shipping and duties from the States makes them more expensive.

I better not burn this one up!

I just installed and SPI starter in my nytro. Two weeks and so far no problems starting but that's just idling and running on a stand in the garage. This weekend will be the real test when I head to the UP.

I just installed and SPI starter in my nytro. Two weeks and so far no problems starting but that's just idling and running on a stand in the garage. This weekend will be the real test when I head to the UP.

Has the SPI starter worked well?

Has the SPI starter worked well?
Unfortanlly I only had my nytro for about a month after I installed it but it worked fined during that month.

Back