• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Any one tow with a 2.7L EcoBoost F150?

ApexXTX/Viper

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 SRX, 2018 Viper LTX
I see videos going up the Ike towing a 7000 lb trailer. Any one tow a 19' or 23' inline aluminum trailer with the 2.7L EcoBoost? As good as claimed?

I am also interested, as my next tow rig will be an f150 Ecoboost, just waiting to see if the new 10 speed trans is as bullet proof as the old 6 speed.

I have the 3.5 Ecobost and have great power towing, I came from a Duramax 3/4 ton so was worried - no lack of power with 3.5. Interested to hear about 2.7.

The 1/2 ton chassis is less stabile than the 3/4 with diesel but works fine

I would guess a 2.7 Eco boost would be able to tow a sled trailer, but I bet you would wish you would of spent the extra money to get the bigger 3.5 Eco boost....you would make up the extra expense on resale when you get rid of it down the road.

What I've read is power is similar to the early 5.4 f150, and towing gas mileage is too. My 5.4 f150 tows a 7x23 just fine. For me, if I bought today the gas mileage of the ecodiesel ram looks appealing.

What I've read is power is similar to the early 5.4 f150, and towing gas mileage is too. My 5.4 f150 tows a 7x23 just fine. For me, if I bought today the gas mileage of the ecodiesel ram looks appealing.

Are you referring to the 3.5 or the 2.7 eccoboost being similar to the 5.4? If the 2.7 that is impressive.

Are you referring to the 3.5 or the 2.7 eccoboost being similar to the 5.4? If the 2.7 that is impressive.
My '09 F150 5.4L was 310 hp and 365 ft. lbs of torque ( if I recall correctly) and my 2016 2.7L EcoBoost is 325 hp and 375 ft. lbs. Claimed 700 lbs lighter and when S (super) mode selected on shifter, it really can get up and go.

Wow
I did some reading and those 2.7are amazing

I have never heard of a reason not to run my 3.5 eco to high miles so that's my plan

The 2.7 is rated for around 7000lbs towing so pulling and 23' inline aluminum trailer that would weigh about 2000lbs with another 1500lbs in sleds puts it at about half capacity. I've seen YouTube videos of it towing 5000lb plus vehicles in the mountains of California with no issues. I would not be afraid of towing this set up with a 2.7.

I have a 2016 3.5 Eco and love it but in all reality, I'll never tow anything near 10,000lbs with it but like the bigger motor. Much more powerful than my old 5.0 v8. The stock hitch is only a class III anyway.

10 speed supposedly gets about 2 more mpg on the highway, I drive about 45k a year so fuel economy is important to me and I am not interested in a problematic 60k plus diesel either, a nice XLT fx4 4x4 under 40k out the door is all I need.

I considered the 2.7 as it gets excellent reviews power wise . I ended up with a Silverado 1500 left over with the 5.3 and 3.08 rear end which isn't the best tow gears at all . However it pulls a 12 ft clam no problem gets 13.5 mpg running at 73mph on the cruise control. Not towing my best has been 23.2 MPG on a 90 mile highway run at 70 with a tail wind. It has cylinder deactivation and that helps. Was able to get $14k off a leftover with midlevel equipment , no such deal on a Ford.

Glad to hear you like the 5.3 my friend does his as well. As I stated I have the 3.5 Ecco and love it. Plenty of power for towing. Sounds like the 2.7 are doing well as well. For some reason being old and growing up hearing over and over again, "no replacement for displacement" I question it. Yet I believe all day the 1 liter Side winder HP. Funny

Back