• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Any tricks to getting a sled unstuck if your alone?

oicu812

Veteran
Ive been stuck so many times in the last week! I sometimes ride alone.If any of the stucks were by myself i would have been in deep trouble.Any tricks or advice on how to unstick one of these alone.Its usually pogosticked vertically and i simply cant lift the snow filled back end.I can't even roll the thing to a new line its soooooo heavy!

I usually take a shovel to scoup the snow away from the front end so that it isn't trying to plow the snow. Then i lift the back end to a new line, sit on and pin the gas!

Literally cant lift the rear end.Full of wet snow!Where could i stash a shovel?Im not afraid to rivet brackets to my tunnel or whatever.I suppose i could dig a long trench in front of the sled creating a ramp to drive out of.Was hoping there were some soft explosives to launch the sled to a new area close by!I would have walked away on most of the bad stucks if i was alone!

For what its worth, when I feel the Phazer chugging harder and bout to get stuck, I jump off and goose the throttle in attempt to AVOID getting stuck... Stuck sucks... If no shovel, pack the snow down infront of the sled with your feet.

Yes!Ive gotten a pretty good feel for when im about to be doomed.Ive stopped clamping the throttle and digging the track to infinity.That has helped tremendously!Im exercising my mangina as often as possible!This thing has to weigh an extra 75 pounds in the rear after a good beat session.When its vertical im trying to lift the whole sled.Not happening!Im thinking flamethrower.Melt the surrounding ten feet.Drive outta hole?

I got a telescoping shovel with a removable blade. Handle's brackets are riveted onto the tunnel with the shovel handle facing the rear grab bar. Blade lives in my backpack and/or my gas tank bag. I also have a piece of string with a plastic hook on the end. The hook rests on the throttle and you can gas it and pull the front ski at the same time. I'll post up a pic later. Very handy.

when i fell like i might get stuck i jump off and run beside it while puching on the bars to help it along. it usualy just keeps going.

I agree the key is to stop before it buries itself then packing and shoving snow from the front under the track.Many times I have looked like sled ran over me packing it under!Once packed very light throttle with you off the sled and pushing.Trying to get on top and never spinning till in clear.I have always been able to get it unstuck alone but when rolled over and stuck twice I had to call for help getting it rolled back over.

I recently bought a folding camping shovel. I think it might fit in with the tool kit, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I also just bought the snobunge Rattler and Cobra, for all occasions. Just haven't figured out where to store them just yet.

The previous owner of mine drilled 35mm holes in the belt, that kept it from building up snow(or so he says to me, sled stil parked in garage waiting for parts)

Just pin and and violently rock the sled side to side it will climb up and out. I have gotten so many people "unstuck" by driving there sleds out......

All else fails I just roll the sled over into a new path.

With two people one person pull on a ski will driving the sled generally will get it unstuck as well

I carry a small take apart shovel when I ride alone, Usually need to clear about 1 sled length in front of me and it will come right out. Then again, when I get the MTX stuck usually can only see the ski tips and top of the windy above the snow line! IF I stop before it gets totally dug in I've found I can put it in reverse and back up a few feet which puts snow under the track and gives me enough of a start to get going again.

ALSO use, as my Bro-in-law calls it, the "Fred Flinstone" method. As the sled it starting to bog down and get stuck jump of the side of the sled, run your #*$&@ off, pin the throttle, and don't get stuck in the first place. It works quite well.

"I also have a piece of string with a plastic hook on the end. The hook rests on the throttle and you can gas it and pull the front ski at the same time. I'll post up a pic later. Very handy." quote

With my luck I would get run over.

Grap one of the ski loops and roll the sled on it's side. You're going to need to clear some snow away from one side to get it over. You can clear enough just using your hands. Sit next to the sled and use your feet to kick snow into the trench your track dug. Roll the sled back upright. Break a path in the snow ahead of your sled. Start your sled and drive out. I've done this a dozen times. It's a fair amount of work but I've never had it fail.

Back