• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone decide to rebuild shocks themselves

stgdz

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
19 tcat, 15 4000 RR, 13 800 RR
I typically rebuild my shocks almost every year on my sled(s) or when they hit about 2k in mileage. It's roughly 60$ now for my iqs shocks(each) and $40 for the center. These seems like the transmissions vs engines of the mechanics world. Engines are fairly easy to rebuild but most people take their transmissions in somewhere to get rebuilt.

How difficult is this to do yourself? I've done the looking and it appears it's about $250 for all parts and gas tank. The labor cost for me may actually be worth it as it's just a drop off and get it back in a couple of weeks.

Not sure if the iqs shocks are any different.
And yes I know canon dale is a rebuilder :)

I don’t think it’s terribly hard, it’s more the initial outlay for the filling station and then sourcing the parts needed. ($250 seems too cheap!) If you are rebuilding every year or even doing some friend’s then it may be worth it!
Most ‘rebuilds’ are just changing out shock oil and seals so not SUPER complicated unless you are getting into changing shim packs etc.

It’s not hard. But it’s also not worth the cost to do it yourself. The profit margin is marginal for sure, just let someone who owns the hundreds/thousands in specialty tools, aswell as making sure you have the right parts and do it properly, I build shocks for race cars for my brothers business, and I send mine out because it’s not worth the hassle for the cost and I don’t have the tools to do these brands.

I bought the tools to rebuild Fox shocks myself back 30 years ago. I have purchased some tools for other brands along the way.
I do it because I like to do things for myself and like to be able to get myself out of a bind if needed.
I do rebuild a few here and there for other people but have no illusions of making a business out of it or consider myself any kind of expert.
To me it is just handy to be able to do.

I've had shocks apart to change valving, but then take them to the dealer for oil and gas.

Can a person even buy the parts and seals need for the Fox shocks? I had Wille Ewing from the Shock Shop rebuild mine and he said Fox was tough to deal with getting parts for replacement and has made it so the average guy can't get parts anymore.

Carver is a good place to buy seals for almost all snow shocks. Good people to deal with also.

I've had shocks apart to change valving, but then take them to the dealer for oil and gas.
You need to remove the nitrogen to take them apart. So at that point buy a quart of shock oil and finish the job yourself since you still need to set nitrogen pressure once you reassemble them.

I don't want to deal with the gas and I completely trust my dealer, it's worth it to send a little work his way.

I don't want to deal with the gas and I completely trust my dealer, it's worth it to send a little work his way.
My point being is you can’t do any work on a shock with nitrogen in it, in order to service them it needs to be removed. You cannot operate a gas shock without nitrogen in them. So you cannot even revalve them on your own and not change the oil and nitrogen. So I am confused as to what you were actually doing. You mean you turn the dials on the shock to adjust compression and rebound?

Shocks I have re-shimmed were IFP cat shocks, no rebound or compression damping adjustment other than changing the valve stacks. I have needle and gage, bleeding off the pressure is not an issue. I don't see what is so hard to understand?

My last adjustment was done at the kitchen table, the wife loves that.
20210309_180240.jpg

My last adjustment was done at the kitchen table, the wife loves that.View attachment 172661
You were saying you let your dealer handle rebuilds and charging and oil change. Once you’re at that point it’s a cpl seals a dump oil in. You “charge” it to use it when you fill it with nitrogen. So that’s what baffled me.

I
I typically rebuild my shocks almost every year on my sled(s) or when they hit about 2k in mileage. It's roughly 60$ now for my iqs shocks(each) and $40 for the center. These seems like the transmissions vs engines of the mechanics world. Engines are fairly easy to rebuild but most people take their transmissions in somewhere to get rebuilt.

How difficult is this to do yourself? I've done the looking and it appears it's about $250 for all parts and gas tank. The labor cost for me may actually be worth it as it's just a drop off and get it back in a couple of weeks.

Not sure if the iqs shocks are any different.
And yes I know canon dale is a rebuilder :)
I have never charged $60 for a IQS shock. Its $35 for a reservoir or float and $30 for standard shocks. IQS is no different than any Reservoir shock other than its helpful to put them in soft position before removing But I can get around that.

Back