• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone else have this exhaust problem?

BIG BLACK WARRIOR

VIP Member
On my 2005 RX-1, with about 3 weeks to go in last years season I started to hear an exhaust leak. So at the end of the season, I set out to figure out where it was. At first I though it was the fiber gasket between the accordian shaped exhaut joint and the exhaut pipe that flanges into it. A couple of these gaskets were all but gone. After relacing them, I still had an exhaust leak that produced a loud noise. So I decided to wait to this fall to figure it out. A few days ago I took the whole exhaust system out and found a hole about 1" long and 1/3" wide right behind where the Exhaust pipe flanged area is where it attaches to the accordian shaped header pipe. These exhaust pipes I believe are made out of Titanium and was told they would be hard to weld, so I bought a new one at the cost of $300. The other exhaust pipe looks like it is also about to let go. I can't believe these will only last two seasons. Anyone else have this problem yet? I guess I should have bought the extended warrenty like I had on my 2004 Warrior. Even though I had the 2005 suspension updated last year, I also found alot of wear parts gone again this season. I needed 6 bushings, 2 idler wheels, 2 needle cage bearings, and the remote adjuster cable. I think Yamha could build these sleds better. :ORC

I think Yamha could build these sleds better

i totally agree. too many problems with 10000 dollar machine. but yes i had the exhaust problem, heard the exhaust leak which progressively got worse when i was on a u.p. trip with some friends. when i got back home i took the sled to the dealer (i have y.e.s.) and they had to replace the headers(accordian pipes) and the y pipes that were worn through. as far as suspension bushings go i made some bronze bushings so i hopefully wont be replacing them again next year. most of my bushings weren't too bad being i put grease fittings everywhere, but the ones like the bulkhead that you couldn't get fittings in were wasted

Big Black Warrior
I am not a welder by trade but i do weld a lot at work. I have tig welded titanium and had absolutely no problem using 2% thoirated tungsten electrode and titanium filler rod. Available at any welding supply co. I can tell you that any certified welder with a tig welder could fix your exhaust. The material does not matter as long as you know what you are doing. Thats why you want to use someone that is certified. He will have the knowledge.

From your description i can't tell where the crack is but if it is on a seam ask the welder to weld in a piece to overlap the seam if possible. If you still have the first exhaust that broke you could cut what ever you need for a patch out of it.

are you complaining about having to replace some idler wheel bearings and some suspension bushings? how about the reliability factor with these sleds engines? the fuel mileage? no oil burning? :ORC i can understand about the exhaust but bearings?

I had my header pipe crack last year also. Yamaha bought the part but did not cover the gasket or installation. I just put it in my self. I would have had it welded if they did not pay for it.

Back