• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone ever run the shorter Vector oil filter on an Apex?

Redbeard

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Apex, 136 M20, PB80
2008 Vector, 136 M20, PB80
Any crime in doing this if nothing else is available?

What's the difference between the two, other than obvious size and filtration capacity?

I drained my Apex, but I only have Vector filters. o_O

Yes, mike is right. The shorter is only used because a long may not fit in some applications due to clearance/room.

Yamaha is starting to charge an awful lot for these filters and oil, at least here in Canada.

Haven't priced OEM lately, how much are they now? Once I determined the Napa Gold series crossover part number (#1358 or Wix#51358) for the Apex filter, I have used it ever since the RX-1.

Edit: Sorry Nitro, just noticed your comment of in Canada. I wonder if Princess Auto or the like would be a possible option.

So next question, regarding the shorter Vector filter...

Would you guys feel better using OEM, or Napa? This 7040 is basically identical in size and thread as OEM. It also has an anti drain back feature, like OEM. That wouldn't matter on a Vector, but would on an Apex.

20200318_172004.jpg
20200318_172018.jpg

Haven't priced OEM lately, how much are they now? Once I determined the Napa Gold series crossover part number (#1358 or Wix#51358) for the Apex filter, I have used it ever since the RX-1.

Edit: Sorry Nitro, just saw noticed your comment of in Canada. I wonder if Princess Auto or the like would be a possible option.
Yes, the 1358 Napa will work on an Apex, but the steering linkage rides so close that it worries me. The 1358 is taller than OEM Apex filter by about 1/4".

Maybe I'm overthinking this?

It's been a while since I've had an OEM to compare against but thought they were identical in size. I also didn't notice how close the steering linkage comes to it so will definitely check that but in the 36,000 miles I've ridden between the three (RX-1 & 2 Apex's) I haven't had an issue with the filter yet or have seen signs of contact with the filter.

Redbeard, now you got me thinking that it may not have been a case with the 08 Apex but with the 18 having EPS, I am going to have another look see. ;)!

I've had 2 yamaha filters do the leak thing even though tight. Another quarter turn solved it. I've run k & n, and wix (napa). But still have a few yamaha filters left. Doubt any filter won't be fine. Book says 12,000 miles for the filter (apex).

What kind of oil pressure do these sleds make? Any worries of burst pressure with anything other than OEM?

I'm a gamma and kimpex dealer so I have plenty of options that are inexpensive. However, sometimes I get machines in for service that are still under warranty so I like to use OEM for those.
I just think Yamaha can do better. The oil price is getting just silly.

Back