• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone go up againts a thundercat or 850

Really no one?
I raced the thundercat and my buddy raced the 850 put we are clutched
Just wondering about stock outcome

I have been following the "Yamaha Sidewinder & Arctic Cat New Gen Thundercat Snowmobiles" facebook page for a few months now. Several SW owners have posted that they have been riding with buddies that have the new 850 Etec machines. I have not read one person on there say they have had any issues. In fact one fella last night posted....First trip to the UP with the SW and put on 500 miles without any issues. Fastest sled out there hands down. 2017 850 E tec in our group and not even close in power and top end against the SW. Hit 118 across a small lake and had to shut down. Let all my buddies try it and can't believe the reaction they all have when they return....simply WOW!

I do find it ironic that I have also snooped around other forums and most of them say the same thing EXCEPT over on Dootalk several are chirping a different tune. Maybe it's just human nature to justify their purchase.

As for the Thundercat, I think they run really close to each other from the little I have stumbled upon. A fraction of the SW folks have had issues blowing belt and possible spring binding with the new secondary but haven't heard a peep on belt issues with the Cat's Team clutches.

No Thundercat but had a stock new xtx 141 and a 129 an a new 850 in a field with snow. 850 pulled the 2 sidewinders out of the hole for about 100 feet and the then the 141 blew buy it and the the 129 blew buy it and left the 850 in the dust. That is all I have. Hope that helps you. The 141 was quicker out the hole then the 129 and the 129 could not catch the 141. All sleds are brand new.

Both SW are 129s with 135 studs
My Clutched SW 2 lengths on the thundercat in under 1000' but I wasn't broken in yet
My buddy's clutched SW jump 2 lengths right away and was 3 ahead and still pulling
All races from about a 30mph roll

What clutching setup?

I have read on the FB page mentioned above one fella liking his OSP muffler. They call it stage zero being it has the flash to compensate the less restrictive muffler but boost stays stock. That's my understanding. Suppose to add 20-25 HP.

Mine thunder products clutch kit
My buddy uses ulmer kit

Mine thunder products clutch kit
My buddy uses ulmer kit
So how do the two of you compare,sled to sled,each one clutched by different clutch weights,are they togeather for the total race,or does one creep past the other?

So how do the two of you compare,sled to sled,each one clutched by different clutch weights,are they togeather for the total race,or does one creep past the other?
We raced the day before but traction was an issue depending on which side we were on
We did race the second day

I watched an 850 put a hurtin' on a Sidewinder in maybe 600-800'. I wanted & asked the 850 guy to roll from 40mph with me. He was still too buzzed from his last win. And ice was sketchy for me to hold it wide open. Not same lake. Lots of frozen slush and 4x4 ruts.

Let me rephrase. I watched a nicely dialed in 850 run an untouched Sidewinder with a driver whom never rode one. And doesn't even own a sled.

850 by three out of the hole. Winder didn't have a chance.

What are we setting up for? Short game or long game. I'd like to loosen up my strap, take out the blocks and give it hell.
But maybe a should just suck it tight and be more concerned with top speed.

I'm on dootalk, ALOT. They are 100% sure. We don't have a chance in anything under 1000'.

Are you guys racing dailed in sleds, stock, kinda makes a difference.

I watched an 850 put a hurtin' on a Sidewinder in maybe 600-800'. I wanted & asked the 850 guy to roll from 40mph with me. He was still too buzzed from his last win. And ice was sketchy for me to hold it wide open. Not same lake. Lots of frozen slush and 4x4 ruts.

Let me rephrase. I watched a nicely dialed in 850 run an untouched Sidewinder with a driver whom never rode one. And doesn't even own a sled.

850 by three out of the hole. Winder didn't have a chance.

What are we setting up for? Short game or long game. I'd like to loosen up my strap, take out the blocks and give it hell.
But maybe a should just suck it tight and be more concerned with top speed.

I'm on dootalk, ALOT. They are 100% sure. We don't have a chance in anything under 1000'.

Are you guys racing dailed in sleds, stock, kinda makes a difference.

Just got back from the UP of Michigan. Was there all week. I put on 760 miles, saw tons of sleds. Every day looked like a weekend there were so many riders. Saw oodles of 850's, oodles of SW's ( in fact I rode some) and a few new TCats. Not one person said the 850 could keep up to a SW. Hands down the fastest stock sled on snow.

Back