• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone know the length of chain is for 21/41 gear 2018 mtx

yamamarc

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 zr9000 Ltd
Trying to help a friend!!!
anyone know the length of chain needed to run 21/41 gears. From what i understand it's a dropped and rolled chaincase

Thanks forany help
Marc

2018 mtx 153 inch 2.25 power claw has 8 tooth track driver. 21 top gear 53 lower.

Thanks Marc! Ya I Am calling some people this week looks like I might have a lead on what gears to run!! 21/41 isn’t good I guess.
Good guy right there out riding and taking the time to help someone out! Ride on.....

Thanks Marc! Ya I Am calling some people this week looks like I might have a lead on what gears to run!! 21/41 isn’t good I guess.
Good guy right there out riding and taking the time to help someone out! Ride on.....
Just curious if anything else was determined about the 21/41 gearing? 2018 MTX all stock 3" powderclaw

21/41 gears takes a 86 link chain

86 link is not correct, the drop & roll of the MTX model makes the chain required longer.

The stock gear & chain setup is 21/52 and this requires a 98 link chain.

If I had to guess, a 21/41 setup on the MTX drop & roll case would need a 92 link chain (looks like the extra length in the center to center distance of the shaft requires about 6 links extra).

There's a formula to determine correct chain pitch:

(CD x 2)/.375 + (TS + BS)/2 = pitch (round up to even number)

CD = distance between jackshaft & driveshaft centers
TS = Top Sprocket
BS = Bottom Sprocket

For a stock SW (with CD of 10.16") and 21/41 gearing:

(10.16 x 2)/.375 = 54.19

(21 + 41)/2 = 31

54.19 + 31 = 85.19 - rounding up to first even number would be 86, which is what comes in the sled.

Measure your CD and plug it into the formula for correct chain pitch.

The older viper MTX with 21/41 gears takes a 86 link chain, I was unaware that they have lengthened the centers. Sorry my bad

Quick question
2018 mtx has 3” pitch drivers what gearing change would be required if a guy was to change drive shaft to a 2.86 ?

Track needs replacing and I want to go to a 2 1/2 “ and don’t like options in the 3” pitch tracks

Back