• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone try EarthX lithium battery in viper?

Threeman03

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Yamaha sr viper ltx LE
just wondering if anyone has tried the EarthX lithium battery in their viper. I bought one new last year and never used it. I figured since I spent $350 on it I might as well use it. But I would like to know first hand if it works and how well it works when -0 deg out. Anyone that has actually used one please respond Thanks

Haven't tried it on a Viper. But two guys I ride with tried them on 800 Doo's last year. They don't work in the cold ..... at all. Doesn't matter if you cycle them or not. So if you ride where the temp might go to -20C or less, stay with a non lithium. Spoke with the Earth X rep at the sno show in Toronto and she was flabergasted. After a lot of talk, she finally agreed to replace them. No change. It's kinda like the relay in the Viper ..... if it gets really cold, the thing will freeze and you can't change it easily on the trail where it is located. Get the Barn o Parts relocate kit over the clutch cover and save yourself some frostbite.

I have used it for 2 years on my Apex and all of last year on my Viper including the summer asphalt racing. We were in Quebec last year with temps of -28 and it never missed a beat so I bought a new one for my 2016. I would recommend it myself and it saves 11#

I ran one all last year in my viper. First trip to Cochrane it was -38c and it started the sled. Had to cycle it a couple times but it went. I bought a second one for my other viper for this year.

Not in a viper but I've had one in our apex since 2012 and never missed a beat. Had no issues with it in ely one weekend and the temps were -30f in the morning so it was plenty cold when we rolled them over about 100o. So far so good and I'll likely try another one the next time I need a sled battery

Anyone think that running a parallel battery cable or simply replacing it with a larger cable would allow the battery to fire the motor easier with less voltage drop form the battery to the starter?

I'm quite certain there will be a solid benefit from a good set of high capacity welder type battery cables, but I'm not sure how many will pay $$$ for them or do the labor.

I'm quite certain there will be a solid benefit from a good set of high capacity welder type battery cables, but I'm not sure how many will pay $$$ for them or do the labor.

I haven't taken that deep of a look at it as of yet but is it really that hard to get to the cables? I'm assuming you'll need to pull the tank but is there much else?

The cables run on top of the tank. I have not looked to see how they route once in the bowels of the machine, but should not be overly complicated. There is a short positive to the solenoid which is right on top of the battery.

IMG_4135.JPG

The negative is grounded right by the starter. Is way longer than needed also. Runs from right side over top of engine and down left side to the upper starter mount bolt. It would be tank removal for sure. And easiest would be to remove exhaust. I think while I have access maybe pull starter and check the gears and clean up that connection down there.
neg.JPG

Has anyone ever actually tested for voltage at the starter? I'd love to go along with the whole voltage drop scenario, but I just can't see how that is possible in such a short distance. Unless the cable is 2 or more sizes too small then I honestly can't agree.

Has anyone ever actually tested for voltage at the starter? I'd love to go along with the whole voltage drop scenario, but I just can't see how that is possible in such a short distance. Unless the cable is 2 or more sizes too small then I honestly can't agree.
The cables are longer than any Car or Truck I have ever owned and smaller gauge also. That said mine turns over very fast and starts fine but the choice of the long thin cable does make it very important to have good connections and a good fully charged battery anything subpar and there will be issues. No safety factor in the design.

I have a 14 viper with a earthx battery and starts way better than my 15 viper with the stock battery. I will likely buy another.

Back