• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex/4 stroke Questions!

Clarkee

Just a recenly new addition to the TY 4 Stroke Family. I am just another 2 stroke guy that will be selling my Crossfire 800 and snow checking a Apex ASAP. I just sick and tired of paying arctic cat $40 a gallon for there "exhaust valve" oil which is to the tune of $300 dollars a season. As well as the rest of the crap that goes on with owning a 2 stroke...smoke, poor fuel milage and piston and ring rebuilds every 5000 miles.

I would just like some feedback from u guys as too how u like your yamaha apex and some other things im about to list since im a 4 stroke rookie....

- The average engine life of a yamaha 4 stroke
- The power a Apex would have compared to my Cat 800
- The distance traveled on a tank of fuel
- Any problems freezing up in powder
- And any other cool things you could share

Thanks for now guys

Dennis Clarke :rocks:

My answers for you in order:

1. Engine should last pretty much forever...probably longer than the suspension and chassis. I'd guess 4 times longer than a 2 stroke, or even more.

2. Similar power to an 800 2 stroke, maybe a touch more. These sleds pull hard.

3. 130 to 160 miles on a tank if trail riding.

4. Not sure what you mean about freezing up in powder...air intake maybe? Regardless I can't really answer that since I've had few opportunities to run my Attak in powder this winter, not enough snow!

5. All I have to add is that you might want to consider Attak instead of Apex for following reasons: You're coming off a 136, you apparently want to run it in some powder, and the extra traction on hardpack is very helpful. Just an idea. Others will have different opinions I'm sure. Frankly I think the extra weight of these sleds definitely warrants a larger footprint if you're planning on going off packed trails.

Welcome...and enjoy! I came off a Gade, and I loved my Attak...at least 'till I partially sunk it! But it'll live again very shortly and I'll still love it I'm sure. I hvae no regrets except I'm definitely feeling the added weight when it comes time to dig it out...especially if I have to lift the front end. But when riding the weight is mostly invisible.

You'll enjoy a very smooth and "lineal" power band. The torque of these engines will amaze you, and if you want more, just squeeze harder! I agree with craze, that the weight is invisible, but as with any sled, digging can be a real B!+@#.
My avitar is me after flying off trail in Mercer last year at about 60mph! My buddies didn't want to help, but one of them was nice enough to take that picture before he even asked me if I was okay! It ended up taking 6 of us to pull it out. But after hitting about 10 small sapplings, flying over the bars and landing about 10 feet away, and standing up to watch my sled quit running, I thought it was done for! After pulling it out, starting it up and moving it very slowly, I quickly found out that it didn't even suffer a scratch!
Long story short, I have seen many sleds "not" be as durable. I don't like to say I beat my stuff, but I can ride as hard as I want to, and it gives me all I can handle without ever complaining.
nate

same pull or better as an 800 2-stroke with a little more top end due to rpms (10,800 vs. 7700 or so) will come very close to staying with the new 1000cc 2 smokes....

heavier but easy to get used to.... not much heavier than most of the newest sleds with this much power..lighter than some of the big poos...

engine braking will be weird at first but you will love it later...saves on brakes big time......

great quality. nice finish thoughout. engine should last 40-50k if the motorcycles are any indicator.... chassis will be junk before motor....

fly real straight in my experience....

not very good for off trail.... wide skis help but they like to sink... much better trail sled than powder.... gades have the powder licked....

engine feel and power is addictive.... brings a smile every time.... electric start will spoil you immediately.... as will reverse.... if you didnt have them....

gas mileage is comparable or slightly better than any other 150 hp sled...no oil to add of course...

plan on buying skis..stockers are not good... must have studs.... these sleds spin real hard without....

lastly the suspension is second only to the gade in my opinion.... not quite as balanced or easy to drive as gade but.... transfers weight better and flys better in my opinion.....

no more sore back= PRICELESS!!!! :4STroke:

I have a friend with a 1988 Yamaha FZR 1000. Same 5 valve 4 hole 4 stroke and he has 105 000 kms on it. Never been opened and the only minor hitch is second gear is starting to slip. Love the fuel mileage and the biggest thing I noticed is I come home and I can hang my jacket up in the front hall and the wife doesn't ask me to take it down to the basement.

new 4-stroker rider

last week had a chance to ride an F8 ArtiCrap. Had nothing on the Apex other than the HOT bars

Yamadood: 06 Apex

Raced 800 2 weeks ago and ATE him up!! 1000 feet. I must say in honesty i do have some mods. I left CAT last year and there is nooooooo way but 4 stroke YAMAHA. Do not worry about power cause there is no end to the power u can make with 4 strokes !!! ;)! :4STroke:

Thanks Guys!

Thanks for all the info....just have to say that im gonna love leaving my buddies 700's in the snowdust next winter.

L8ter

Keeps those skis facing down!

Once you go 4stroke you wont ever want to imagine riding a 2 stroke...thats how i feel when is see,hear and smell those things now...its bizarre how much ive changed my thinking about 2 strokes...

Its now so funny to see someone PULLSTART a sled.....sorta makes those old 2 strokers look like something from stone ages....

its like jumping ahead light yrs when you get on these...

sure we all have our minor annoyances with our sleds but they are minor compared to other 3 manuf....

no sure which model youre looking into but seems all agree fox floats are tops for shocks...RTX for shorty seems to be best choice.....not many attacks here but lots of em on this site....youll love either one....if you run a 136 then attack should be best bet for you.

welcome to the camp!
Dan

I'll never look back, especially yesterday when we had to do a long large lake crossing and near the end the polaris in the group blew up ;)

Back