• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex boost - Large drivers and gearing on 400hp sled...discussion

kinger

VIP Member
Website
www.piergenius.com
Building my apex and currently running 9T extros with 24/38 stock apex gearing.

I am going to be significantly reworking the chassis and possibly removing the front heat exchanger.

I would like people's opinion on what would be the ideal set up for drivers/gearing?

I want to lower my approach angle as much as possible WITHOUT a drop and roll. Goal would be climbing up on the snow like my winder BTX and not losing any top speed.

I have had 10T drivers, Large gears (IIRC it was 22/42??) I noticed only loss of top speed/accel and not any other real gains on a 240hp apex. That said I was 121" going from a 1" track to a 121 1.25" predator back to 9T and stock gearing (where it is today) and it was night and day better. So I am wondering if maybe it was the track and not the drivetrain where I felt the gains.

Without a front cooler, I could go to a 10 or possibly even 11 T 2.52" driver from Avid that will fit my MD HD 1.25" shaft. OD would be around 27.7" on the 11T.

I plan to run a 151x 1.5" lug crossover track. This is a trail sled that will be around 400hp and will see 140+ mph speeds regularly on a lake.

Thoughts? Hoping some of you experts have been down this road and can help guide me. Thanks guys!

Some quick math and the 11T driver will stick the track 0.8" into the cooler further then it is today. I will have to go get the chassis out and start seeing if I can even do that and what impact that has on approach angle. Then I need to go to 22/42 gearing to equal the same speed as my current 24/38 9T combo.

Does a bigger driver hurt TQ to snow? Seems like it would be harder to get it spinning then a smaller driver no matter what gearing you put in the case?

The less bend radius in the track the more efficient it will be. Also the larger the driver the more contact between the track and driver you have which will help with ratcheting, etc.

10 tooth vs 11 tooth

Attachments

• 1AB77F82-8610-495A-9FA4-59DF4AE8DE67.jpeg
    1AB77F82-8610-495A-9FA4-59DF4AE8DE67.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 352C6540-FD50-4952-AD7B-09B742DD1670.jpeg
    352C6540-FD50-4952-AD7B-09B742DD1670.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 110
We run 10T on our big RX turbo. Agree with Allen's comments re: rolling resistance. One thing to consider is if an 11T driver would stick out below the front bulkhead: if you looked under the sled from front towards the track, would an 11T driver be visible? If it is, then the drive axle would receive the impact from any hard knocks on the trail with the potential to bend the shaft itself. I know on a Winder a 10T driver just fits up inside, while an 11T is exposed. No problem if the sled is going to spend its life racing on a track, concerning if it will ever spend time on the trails...

No one else wants to weigh in? Bigger is better or just keep on keepn' on with what I have?
Of course we want bigger as bigger is better (well in this instance anyway )its your sled& therefore you have to wrench on it while we sit back& read about this beast so we want to see at least 400hp lol

Back