• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex Brake Caliper Question

RobX-1

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 50th Apex XT-X, 08 40th Apex LTX GT, 08 40th Nytro RTX, & 03 RX-1
While I had the brake rotor and caliber off to replace all drive train bearings and seals and replace track, somehow the brake handle must have been pressed which collapsed the two brake pads together. Is there a way to decompress the pistons in the caliber to get the gap back between the pads; possibly using the two bleed screws? I've had to bleed the brakes on my old RX-1 but don't recall nor know if loosing them would also allow the piston to be pressed back into the caliber so that ultimately the two brake pads slide back over the rotor. Or is there another method to remedy this?

If you just take a pry bar or flat screw driver you can just pry the pistons back in. Be sure to put the pads together and pry between the piston and back side of brake pad. If you pry between the pads you will damage the pad. Try and find a pry tool wide enough to catch both pistons at the same time. If you keep bleeders closed there will be some resistance, but you will loose no fluid and not have to add any fluid. If you open bleeders and compress then you will have to add fluid again.

Thanks Travis but unfortunately the pistons were compressed while the pads were still IN the caliber so I'm not sure I could get a pry bar or flat screwdriver in there to pry it back open without risking damage to pads. Instead of there being a gap between the pads where the rotor would slide in between, the brake got pressed causing the caliber's pistons to push the two pads together. That is how I knew something was wrong when I could not slide the caliber assembly over the rotor; there was no gap to do so. Therefore, I'm not sure there is a way to decompress the pistons without opening the bleeders unless I am missing something.

You can just slip a screwdriver between the two pistons and work one side in at a time. I think you are overthinking this whole thing! Ha

I agree, I think I was overthinking this and did not comprehend what you were stating about just working on getting one side in at a time. Will try this tonight. ;)!

Worked like a charm! Not sure why I didn't realize I could compress piston that way but it's all good now and reassembled. Thanks again Travis.

Back