• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex cold start relay

I don,t believe Yamaha started installing the Red solid state relays on the Apexs until at least 2014
Thats probubly when 4 strokes got such a bad rep with cold starting. Too bad people didnt realuze it was an easy fix.....instead other brand owners painted all yamahas with crappy starting in the cold. Hard to come back from that i bet.

Not only that it's when they flood out in the cold weather from a no start and you need to change the plugs, which is always fun at -30.

Not only that it's when they flood out in the cold weather from a no start and you need to change the plugs, which is always fun at -30.
But how exactly do they flood out if the feul pump relay isnt putting any feul in the cylinders?

My 11 fuel relay froze a couple years ago. Hold it between thumb and index finger for a minute and click it worked again. Only did it once but I bought the red relay and put it in my handlebar bag with intent to change it when I got home. Ran it for two more years without changing it before on time it did it again. This time however a few trys on off with the key and it clicked and all was good. So I changed it before the next ride.

Why they would say its an Apex issue is puzzling because my Buddies Ski-Doo 600 sdi always had that problem, to the point he would take out the relays at night and bring them into the room and warm them over night so his sled would start in the morning.

-38 my sled would not start, it tried to start then just cranked over puffing out pipes a bit, let it sit and tried but just puffs and pops a bit, engine is flooding you can smell gas bad. Buddy says lets pull the fuel relay and turn it over. K so he did. Crank it for a bit till it stopped puffing out the exhaust. plugged relay in again. Crank it over, it trys to go then back to puffing. Repeat process a couple times. Then it fired up ran a bit rough and spewed a bunch of black smoke out the pipe but cleared itself and ran perfect. On more time since then had the same issue. Only this time pulled relay right away and cranked it to clear it. Reward it fires up! Fuel injection is a lovely thing but if it floods unlike carb sled where you can take the choke off, fuel injection just keeps pumping in huge amount of fuel trying to start a cold sled.

-38 my sled would not start, it tried to start then just cranked over puffing out pipes a bit, let it sit and tried but just puffs and pops a bit, engine is flooding you can smell gas bad. Buddy says lets pull the fuel relay and turn it over. K so he did. Crank it for a bit till it stopped puffing out the exhaust. plugged relay in again. Crank it over, it trys to go then back to puffing. Repeat process a couple times. Then it fired up ran a bit rough and spewed a bunch of black smoke out the pipe but cleared itself and ran perfect. On more time since then had the same issue. Only this time pulled relay right away and cranked it to clear it. Reward it fires up! Fuel injection is a lovely thing but if it floods unlike carb sled where you can take the choke off, fuel injection just keeps pumping in huge amount of fuel trying to start a cold sled.

You forgot to mention we had the battery jumpered to your truck as well. Yours was not the only one the took awhile to get going.:(

You forgot to mention we had the battery jumpered to your truck as well. Yours was not the only one the took awhile to get going.:(

Nope it was jumper-ed to your sled with my Yamaha accessory booster cables! Yep there where a few more that morning that did not want to go, one was a Vector!

I'm kinda in same boat, sled quit while riding, turns over, won't fire. Which one of these relays is the one that needs changed? I am not hearing click and fuel pump definitely not running.

This is exactly why I put a toggle switch on my fuel pump...saves the hassle of removing relays...works for me

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly why I put a toggle switch on my fuel pump...saves the hassle of removing relays...works for me
Does the ECU have a clear flood mode like cars/trucks where you hold throttle wide open and fuel is cut off? Anyone? Buler? Anyone know this?

Last edited by a moderator:
20180123_200856.jpg
Alright guys. For all of you who dont know what the new "red" relay looks like. This is for you. FYI i put them in both my 06 gt and 06 rtx and they work great.

Does the ECU have a clear flood mode like cars/trucks where you hold throttle wide open and fuel is cut off? Anyone? Buler? Anyone know this?
Not as far as I understand because holding it wide open does not seem to help! Anyone that knows the answer to that please chime in!

Don't know the answer; but 2 times with red relay -30 way up northern Ontario on 3 day trip, early morning Apex flooded, smelled gas, puffing gray smoke with some poping almost starting sounds. Got 3 buddies to hold up the back end and held the throttle wide open and cranked so long I figuered I would over heat the starter and blow it up or batt would die, after what was a long time it fired up hard all my buddies disappeared in the exhaust can't believe they didn't drop the back end. She ran the rest of the trip like she was brand new. I now have 3 red relays in this year and so far no problems. touch wood.

Back