• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex engine MODS....... big bore ?

alaskanbowtie

Expert
So anyone know about MPI's big bore kit they're going to offer this season ? I think it would be awesome to have a NA engine in the 200 h.p. range as long as it was dependable as stock and was cheaper than a turbo..... would be nice if they had a clutch kit that went with the kit to compliment the whole set up ! Fundy power sports has a dyno run of a top secret engine that's puttin out well over 200 h.p. and it's 91 octane friendly and less than a 1000cc ? They say nothing else about it but man that wold be a SLEEPER....especially for you lake racer guys........ no one would want to race after a while though.....once they figured it out....LOL

Yup fundy powersports is dynorays place,and he has 175 hp cam and porting only for that 175 hp on 91 pump,but it aint cheap at $2300.00 no its not as pricey as a turbo,but it also aint no 200+ hp either,but it fits alot of guys wallets better than the turbo and it looks like a sleeper.

I emailed him about a frew things

He says that the trail version of his kit the 175 h.p. , when they tested the Hauck pipe it made like 5 h.p. constant and 9 h.p. peak at 11,000 rpm's , so is this on top of the 175h.p. the kit makes or is this 175 h.p. using the Hauck pipe to reach the 175 ? Hopefully it's without the pipe and you could actually reach 180 with the Hauck pipe or maybe more with the Excell pipe ? Just some thoughts and questions I have...... If you were to add the high compression pistons MPI offers with his top end kit you should gain atleast another 5 h.p. , what about Gapless rings with these pistons.... they do wonders in small blocks ! Maybe all together with the pipe , pistons, head job, fuel controller, K&N'S reach real close to 190 h.p., have the timing advance done as per ECP or Hauck to help also. I wouldn't think 190 would be so out of reach with these mods on a NA reliable engine without the potential problems associated with superchargers and turbo's. Just turn the key and go with your 190 ponies and only have to do the regular maintenance as usual. I imagine he sells a clutch kit to go along with it . Even if the H.P isn't quite 190 if the cams could be ground to produce alot more usable torque that would be awesome ! After all it's torque that get's you there ! I'll see when he emails me back if he has a kit like this, or plans , The ideal kit for me would be :
KIT Includes:
Cams ,
heads ported exhaust & intake , maybe springs & valves ?
EFI control box , maybe K&N'S to go along with it ?
Timing advance 3 or 5 degrees which ever will be best ?
High compression , super light , ceramic coated forged pistons 12.5.1 maybe some "gapless" rings , like used in small blocks ?
Exhaust , which ever compliments the whole kit best.
Clutch kit to match power, Mnt. or trail ,
For say $3250.00 installed that would be...........I would think a great add on and cheaper than a turbo . If a kit comes out similar to this it would have to be in this price range or it wouldn't be worth doing, much more and people will just buy the Boondocker side mount turbo .
These are my wishes......... can you say....SLEEPER :die

id rather have a supercharger.. cool whine and no engine tear down.. just bolt on and go.. and alot less intensive..not to mention you could go as crazy as 300hp

MY

.o2

super charger...... my concerns

I have contemplated this for many hours and still don;'t know how I feel about it . It will be 2 years before I add boost if I do . I want to have lots of other things done and have it paid for first . The thunder racing blower would be my choice, less parts, less to wory about but I think it's a bit over priced and will wait to see what others have to say about it's performance and dependability. The dealers I've spoke with mentioned several problems they were having with the numerous MPI charged sleds they've built for customers and personal . They said they can make a low boost Boondocker turbo make 220 h.p. and have it extremely dependable with minimal maintenace, pretty much a turn key and go set up never worrying about all the little issue's on the turbo's.
This is my concern, I don't want to be wrenching on my sled , especially on a consistent basis. By this I mean if I have to Fuk with it for various reasons more than once a month then it's not worth it to me. I ride mostly the weekends, Sat. & Sun. close to 500 miles a weekend . If I can go 1500 miles with no leaking intakes or other turbo prone problems then I'd do it , but everyone I talk to in person or by phone that has experience with turbo's say you work on them as much as you ride them or close, contrary to what some make you think on this site. I'm sure some are dependable but I've talked to ALOT of good mechanics with lots of turbo and supercharger experience and they all pretty much say the same thing ! They're awesome but you'll be working on it.
So if you could buy a 200 h.p,. or 190 h.p. kit to keep it NA and increase the torque substantially that would be the easiest thing to do, and cheaper ! If your a lake racer all the time this might not be the case for you but for a well rounded rider I think alot of folks would rather have the dependability verse's the extra h.p. . I mean how much can you truely take advantage of on a consistent basis ? 220 is enough for most anyone ! Sure it's fun I imagine to have 300 h.p. when you want but jesus , that's not a realistic daily h.p. to ride with, one slip and your launched off into a canyon or some other obstacle ?? A stroker kit of some sorts for the 150fi. would be awesome and increase the torque hugely, that may be what's on the dyno on the Fundy site ? Just aguess, I have no idea but it's puttin up some big numbers and less than a 1000cc according to them, hope it's a rideable engine for sledders , not just drag race oriented . :D

Hey bowtie thats funny he told you the hauck pipe made anymore hp,he told me differently,that both hauck and excell made nothing over stock on his kit,and those numbers are with stock exhaust at 175 trail kit.

I checked the fundy site last night and cant find anything on a dyno run,where did you see it,was it on his down load side where the rx1 is tearing up the lake?? I think his kit for the 175 would be real usable trail power,if you go adding to many things you may mess it up. jmo..

he didn't tell me that I read it in one of his responses in the MOD forum reguarding engine upgrades, he said it peaked at 9 h.p. at 11000 rpms and was a consisten 5 h.p. , I don't know if this was on a stock sled or with his kit , in addition to it or combined ? Hopefully he'll email me back with more detail I can share with the site. The dyno run is titled top secret engine , yeah it's in the download section with the RX-1 134 mph run. right below that one I think . I'm interested in the kit MPI is going to offer, wish they'd offer some details on it . They say "this season" and the season is almost over ?????

alaskanbowtie, what you read about the hauck pipe at 9 hp peak and 5 hp consistent dynoray was speaking of a modded RX-1 that was on. With the Apex so far he has 175 hp with STOCK exhaust and no gains with any other exhaust he has tried. I hope to run the 175 hp kit this summer on the asphalt if time allows.

dyno rays cam,s

his cams work well on the rx 1,s as i just ran mine to day. i was far to lean in jetting and in 1.5-2 in oof wet snow i was pulling 107-110 mph and when i found some good footing wow did it ever pull. these are the same cam profiles for the rx 1 or apex. just have to break out the drill bits and make some larger jets and braek out some thing sticky for the seat. ;)!

Srxspec said:
alaskanbowtie, what you read about the hauck pipe at 9 hp peak and 5 hp consistent dynoray was speaking of a modded RX-1 that was on. With the Apex so far he has 175 hp with STOCK exhaust and no gains with any other exhaust he has tried. I hope to run the 175 hp kit this summer on the asphalt if time allows.

THX for the clarification , that makes more sense though it would have been nice if it helped his kit with those numbers. Since your running the kit, he has , do you know how much adding a high compression set of pistons make in the Apex ? I would hope for around 13to1 give or take, and gain 10 h.p maybe with the kit ? Does the kit , also advance the timing like ECP does or can this be added for a couple extra ponies ? I'm really , really interested in what he had on the dyno, that thing is a screamer and NA, put up some big numbers...... hope it's for sleds and not ATV.

Thanks Pro116. I have seen these on one of my many parts catalogue. I will check one out this summer on my RX-1.

RX-E

RX-Eskimo said:
It would be awesome to get more than 138HP, does this fit the RX-1's too?

RX-E
>>>>>
He also makes a 190 h.p. kit for the RX-1 , email Fundy Powersports about the difference in the kits and prices. It took him about 4 days to get back to me but he did , more than once reguarding these engine mods. He's actually working on a manifold and hopes to get some more horses out of the package when done for the Apex. I would hope to see around 190 h.p. for the Apex in this kit with a set of High comp. pistons ? Just my hopes , not what he says, just my thoughts , though it would be a much more enticing ! I would spend the $3000.00 grand US if it would put out a 190 h.p. dependably. But to cost near that much and only get the 175 it just doesn't seem quite as worth it . If I had an RX-1 though it would be an option since they are at 138 h.p. stock and that would be near 40 h.p gain and if you went the 190 h.p. rate it would be a 52 h.p. jump and very nice improvment. I can't wait till the fal to see what this "top secret" engine Fundy has on the Dyno run, that thing is puttin up some NASTY numbers and it's NA on pump gas!!!! I assume it's a four stroke, (hope it is) and will be at a price we can afford , not something only the rich man can have.....LOL . Maybe a trade in basis, our Apex stock engine for this engine.......just a thought . Can't wait to find out :die

Back