• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

APEX GEARING

Check to see if someone ground a tooth or 2 off the speedo gear.
If not, there is something not right. Sled should do at least 106 GPS or Radar on Snow, bone stock.
That sled should show almost 120 MPH on the speedo on decent snow.
There is 11% ish speedo error unless someone has ground of the teeth.
Not likely the gear change to Attak 23 top would add speed if it has stock Apex gearing.

Just thought I would throw this out there...Don't forget when your doing your math on gear ratios that there is a gear reduction at the primary clutch taking place....your tach says 10.500 your clutch is spinning around 8500....

Check to see if someone ground a tooth or 2 off the speedo gear.
If not, there is something not right. Sled should do at least 106 GPS or Radar on Snow, bone stock.
That sled should show almost 120 MPH on the speedo on decent snow.
There is 11% ish speedo error unless someone has ground of the teeth.
Not likely the gear change to Attak 23 top would add speed if it has stock Apex gearing.

That's what I found with my Attak.
I ground two teeth off the speedo gear and 108 on speedo is now 111 on GPS

I have a 06 apex stretched to a 136" I have ulmer's clutch kit. I have tons of low end take off speed.. but I'm loosing top end. Only 101 mph. Just wondering what gear change I could do to get more top end speed. Does the stock 136 have different gearing than a 121?
I guess what I'm getting at is...if I have stock 121" gears is there a gear change that can give me more top end??

Need more info here.
What track is installed?... Anything over 1 1/4" will kill top end speed
What pitch and size drivers are installed?...typically it will be 9 x 2.52 pitch
What gearing is currently in sled?...23/38 or 24/38 usually gives best all around performance
What RPM are you presently pulling?...10400 to MAX 10600 is the sweet spot
What kind of shape is your exhaust in?...cracked exhaust or leaking donuts KILLS horsepower which KILLS mph

I have found Apexs to be very fussy with snow conditions for best top speeds...mine varies from @ 100mph in soft trails to close to 120mph on ice

Apexs are extremely over geared. I run my 2016 apex 22/39 with 2.86 pitch drivers. I have had a max on an icy trail of 115 gps speed in around 1500 to 1700 feet. and 110 in 1320. Even geared down to 21/41 and still go 107 gps.
How often does anyone go over a real 110 mph?

Apexs are extremely over geared. I run my 2016 apex 22/39 with 2.86 pitch drivers. I have had a max on an icy trail of 115 gps speed in around 1500 to 1700 feet. and 110 in 1320. Even geared down to 21/41 and still go 107 gps.
How often does anyone go over a real 110 mph?

Do you run 8 tooth 2.86 or 9 tooth 2.86 drivers?

I can't speak for the Apex (yet) as I plan to drop a tooth or two on top gear... But I dropped two teeth on my mxz , it really brought it to life ! It also against what many believe , improved my top end as well ... It allowed the clutches to "fully engage", most sleds two or 4 stroke are geared to high and do not reach their full potential ... As I've learned , it's an easy cheap "bolt on" upgrade let's u tap into the power u already have. Just couldn't use

When doing fomula for gearing do it at 1to1 as Yamaha overdrive at best is 2 percent 24\38 is 115 mph at one to one 23\38 is 109 at one to one just the more you gear down the better tra tion you need or you will spin three gears a lot of times gearing down when clutched to matched the little bit of top end you lose you gain in acceleration but have to have traction

Good point ... These already have boat loads of tourque ... And adding more would need more hookup, never been a fan of studs , seeing how track is in good condition I prolly wouldn't replace it eaither ..

Back