• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex is gone...

SledFreak

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Current 2020 ThunderCat. - SOLD!
Sold my Apex GT today. I'm not sure what I'm going to ride next year, it just might be on my old 2001 MXZ 600. I really wanted to buy a new sled this year, but none of the OEM's made what I wanted, especially Yamaha. I think I will wait for 2011, but if Yamaha does not get it done by then, then I will be forced to look else where. Anyways, have fun and I will be here lurking and if anyone needs help, just send me a PM.

Later,

Andy

Yeah I agree I'm not impressed with anything either. We just got spoiled on the 4strokes and want more more more. I too have thought about going back to a beater 2 stroke and just saving the cash but no way I could leave my sled now that I have it the way i want.

I was bashing through some really rough trails last weekend (my last weekend of the year on a trip) and was thinking "wow these are like 2' tall, wow the zx2 is really soaking them up, wow I think its actually smoother the faster I go, wow I'm turning 90 degrees at 45 mph though 2' moguls, then I hit a G out and was like wow the zx2 actually bottomed out and wow is the apex seat comfy, then I hit a lake and squeezed out the last nitrous bottle for the year and blew away a 800R Xp like he was sitting still, and said.....Wow I can never ride anything else again....

Good luck in your search.

mulderdad said:
You must of got a decent buck to get rid of it eh freak?

Well the guy that bought it is a TY'er, so I won't discuss price, but he's happy and I'm happy.

Nice to see you sold to a fellow ty'er.
How did that cobra track work out for you compared to the ripsaw?
I will be changing my track this summer and looking for a good top speed/trail track.
Maybe a 1" with 144 1.18 studs or another 1.25 ripsaw with 1.450 mega's like I have now.
What is your thought on a 14" wide track 1" with 144-168 studs compared to the othere two above tracks?
What do you think? make/models?

mulderdad said:
Nice to see you sold to a fellow ty'er.
How did that cobra track work out for you compared to the ripsaw?
I will be changing my track this summer and looking for a good top speed/trail track.
Maybe a 1" with 144 1.18 studs or another 1.25 ripsaw with 1.450 mega's like I have now.
What is your thought on a 14" wide track 1" with 144-168 studs compared to the othere two above tracks?
What do you think? make/models?

The cobra by itself unstudded is way better in soft snow. Add studs and you lose traction compared to the ripsaw on harder ground. The traction on hardground with 1.450's in the ripsaw is amazing. The cobra with 1.450 studs sucks, because the cobra is 1/8" taller which brings your penetratrion down. With my 23/40 gearing, it spun big time on hard ground, but the ripsaw and those studs it hooked really good and took off like a rocket. If I was to keep it, it was coming off with a ripsaw going back on with the same size stud. It pissed me off, because I made it slower than it was from last year. Now I may have been able to help it a bit, by going back to 23/38 or 24/40 which would help limit the track spin.

If you are going to run a 1" hacksaw, then you need to run 1.325" studs.

Do you think the 1" hack 1.325's will be faster than the rip with the 1.450"s?
How much on tops?
I got 114 on ice with ripsaw on radar.
If I keep the sled, I want at least 120 on the gun next year!
Hooks up really good, but ripped the lugs off bad on left side this year(low snow conditions).
Thanks,
Rick.

SledFreak said:
mulderdad said:
You must of got a decent buck to get rid of it eh freak?

Well the guy that bought it is a TY'er, so I won't discuss price, but he's happy and I'm happy.

I'll bet he is! :bling

SledFreak said:
Sold my Apex GT today. I'm not sure what I'm going to ride next year, it just might be on my old 2001 MXZ 600. I really wanted to buy a new sled this year, but none of the OEM's made what I wanted, especially Yamaha. I think I will wait for 2011, but if Yamaha does not get it done by then, then I will be forced to look else where. Anyways, have fun and I will be here lurking and if anyone needs help, just send me a PM.

Later,

Andy
why did you sell so early,plenty of riding still

Because I got a good price.. There is really only about 2-3 weekends left of riding, 1 which I won't be able to ride anyways.

The fact of the matter is this. I have a 2 year old boy and a 5 year old girl and my wife works shift work. It sits more on the stand, than anything and me tinkering with it. I just don't have the luxery of going out when I want to. My little guy will be out of diapers soon and it will be much easier for me to get people to watch the kids more than I have now. Even a little bit more riding than I am now will make me alot happier.

I've done almost very mod to that sled and I'm bored of it. I want a new project that is non-turbo and there just is not any sled out there that I want right now. Cat and POO are out of the question. They are junk. I'm going to ride the old MXZ for 1 year and hopefully something will come out. Either it will be back on a Yamaha or it will be on a ski-doo. I know ski-doo won't wait another year to re-release a new sled. It will be there for 2011. I'm quite sure of it.

I love my Apex and I love the motor, but it needs alot of work in the handeling department. If ski-doo comes with a 1200HO around the same hp as my Apex and Yamaha does NOT come out with something new, then I will back on a DOO for the 2011 season. But, I'm hoping for Yamaha.

SledFreak said:
Because I got a good price.. There is really only about 2-3 weekends left of riding, 1 which I won't be able to ride anyways.

The fact of the matter is this. I have a 2 year old boy and a 5 year old girl and my wife works shift work. It sits more on the stand, than anything and me tinkering with it. I just don't have the luxery of going out when I want to. My little guy will be out of diapers soon and it will be much easier for me to get people to watch the kids more than I have now. Even a little bit more riding than I am now will make me alot happier.

I've done almost very mod to that sled and I'm bored of it. I want a new project that is non-turbo and there just is not any sled out there that I want right now. Cat and POO are out of the question. They are junk. I'm going to ride the old MXZ for 1 year and hopefully something will come out. Either it will be back on a Yamaha or it will be on a ski-doo. I know ski-doo won't wait another year to re-release a new sled. It will be there for 2011. I'm quite sure of it.

I love my Apex and I love the motor, but it needs alot of work in the handeling department. If ski-doo comes with a 1200HO around the same hp as my Apex and Yamaha does NOT come out with something new, then I will back on a DOO for the 2011 season. But, I'm hoping for Yamaha.
;)!

sorry to see you yamaha-less andy..just remember I got one available if you feel the need to tweak! lol

sj said:
sorry to see you yamaha-less andy..just remember I got one available if you feel the need to tweak! lol

I actually like wrenching on it, for the most part. I learned alot about this sled, especially about what it likes and what it does not like.

Back