• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex MTX 2 stroke lightweight build.

Tony8186

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha Apex MTX
Hi everyone, my name is Tony. Ling time lurker, first time posting. My friend just recently robbed an apex of its engine for a turbo sand buggy project, and I'm basically being given the remains. I'm considering doing a lightweight build with a large 2 cylinder 2 stroke engine. I know it might be sacrilege to even suggest such a thing, but I need a project and want something unique. I already have a 4 stroke apex and I love it. I think it would be fun the have the feel, and look of an apex with a weight in the lower 400s. Sure it would be easier just to go out and buy a new rmk pro or summit, but man I hate how they look! The apex is IMO the best looking sled ever made. I am thinking 900-1000cc engine. I welcome any and all recommendations, suggestions, advise, or info on whether or not such a thing can realistically be done. Thanks in advance, Tony.

An Apex with no engine is in the mid 400Ib range. How is adding an engine to one going to get it to low 400s?

An Apex with no engine is in the mid 400Ib range. How is adding an engine to one going to get it to low 400s?

because I'm not planning on just throwing a 2 stroke motor in it and calling it good. If it's possible it will be a complete lightweight build. Timbersled front rear suspension, maybe an m series skid with 2 wheel kit, lightweight seat, after market tunnel, no need for the battery, won't need the heavy factoty exhaust. The lightweight mods are well over 100lbs in reduction putting the chassis around 350 maybe less.

I've never heard of it being done either. It might not be doable, and that's the reason it hasn't been done. Or maybe there's just no demands for it cause the genesis engines don't die very often, or boosting is an extremely viable option.

I say do it, I have a skidoo xp 800 etec motor that I am looking for a blown up phazer chassis to put it in. Same thing, super lightweight sled with decent power. I have my turbo Apex for the big power days

I say do it, I have a skidoo xp 800 etec motor that I am looking for a blown up phazer chassis to put it in. Same thing, super lightweight sled with decent power. I have my turbo Apex for the big power days

That sounds like a fun build. That will be a super light sled, tons of fun! I have a functional apex, and I absolutely love it, but I want something a little lighter for the mrs, or to take friends on. Our even for myself on the days I just don't feel like dealing with the weight, or in spring snow. I was thinking of buying an m series and stealing many of the parts from that. What kind of power does the doo 800 put out? Weight of the engine?

That sounds like a fun build. That will be a super light sled, tons of fun! I have a functional apex, and I absolutely love it, but I want something a little lighter for the mrs, or to take friends on. Our even for myself on the days I just don't feel like dealing with the weight, or in spring snow. I was thinking of buying an m series and stealing many of the parts from that. What kind of power does the doo 800 put out? Weight of the engine?

Not sure on the weight but its one of the most powerful 800s out there, makes about 154 stock and can be taken to 162-165 with just a good pipe and silencer. If you need a custom pipe built check out CPI racing, an excellent option depending on where your located

Excellent! Thank you! What year is the engine from?

Excellent! Thank you! What year is the engine from?

2012, pretty sure 2011 and up were ETEC, before that was the standard xp800R that was still a solid motor that made like 145 and 152-153ish with a pipe

I think that's what I'm looking for. Pick up a used hcr use the track, rear skid, the engine and electronics, and a bunch of lightweight parts. I think this is going to be expensive.

Easy 180 hp with full exhaust system, clutches done, port and polished heads, fuel controller and few other add ons, my two buddies are pushing into the 180's

Excellent! That's certainly good to know. Thank you for your input. Do you know if they have a track length between the 153 and 162 our is that it?

Back