1. PLEASE READ: If you have problems logging in with your old password, click the Forgot Password link in the log in screen to get an email verification to request a new password or click Here. If you haven't received a new password from the forum please email your username and password to webmaster@totallyamaha.com. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All hotmail, msn, outlook, live email accounts are not receiving email notifications. The only way to remedy this is to add @totallyamaha.com to your safe senders list in order to receive notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Apex oil leak

Discussion in 'Apex General Talk' started by VMX, Oct 11, 2017.

1. VMX

VMX Veteran

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2006 GT ,2007 RTX, 2011se
    I just bought a 2011 apex se used from a local dealer and after getting it home and running it some it developed an oil leak they took it to the shop and found it was leaking from the bottom engine cover gasket has anyone else ever heard of this before

3. biffdotorg

biffdotorg VIP Member VIP Member

USA
    Snowmobile:
    Apex XTX and VIper LTX SE
    The most common, is from the amount of oil that drops into the belly pan when the oil filter is changed. If the dealer did an oil change, that would be my guess.

If they have pinpointed it to a spot on the engine, then that would be rare. Based on it's location, and the amount that always spills, I would still blame a filter change. The other is the drain on the bottom of the crankcase has a crush washer on it. If they used a kit, they may have added a washer without removing the first. Two washers will cause a leak many times.

Good luck, report back what you find.

4. VMX

VMX Veteran

USA
    Snowmobile:

5. VMX

VMX Veteran

USA
    Snowmobile:
    They tried to tell me it was oil that was leaked down but it happened while it was running and about a quart of oil on my garage floor after they got it back in the shop and looked at it some more they found it was leaking from the lower pan on the engine at the gasket I had never heard of it before that's why I posted it here

6. biffdotorg

biffdotorg VIP Member VIP Member

USA
    Snowmobile:
    Apex XTX and VIper LTX SE
    The lower belly pan of the sled, or the "lower pan" of the engine? I didn't realize the engine separated that way. Good luck.

7. VMX

VMX Veteran

USA
    Snowmobile:
    Yes there is a plate on the bottom of the motor it actually the sump

8. Apexallday!

Apexallday! VIP Member VIP Member

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2015 Apex ER
    That is strange, never heard of that kind of failure. Rare to have the need to horse around with the bottom end, unless motor was out for some reason and didnt get put together properly.
    Hope they fixed it properly and didnt bandaid it. Good luck and enjoy your Ape!

9. thor452

thor452 Because I can Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2012 Apex XTX 2017 Sidewinder LTX-LE
    that just don't happen did the dealer do the oil change did they crack the case with an impact gun? I have never heard of this failer with out hitting something hard or poor servicing.

10. VMX

VMX Veteran

USA
    Snowmobile:
    there was no sign of any impact underneath they said it was coming out at the gasket

11. thor452

thor452 Because I can Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2012 Apex XTX 2017 Sidewinder LTX-LE
    well at least it is just a gasket then.