• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex starter and case shattered

Snake61047

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Yamaha Apex
I just aquired a 07 Apex ER and upon inspection the starter was ripped off the engine and busted the case it goes in. The engine will only rotate a little bit. I have no history on this. Looking for pointers and possible issues and repairs. First 4 stroke sled and newest Yamaha since my Exciter.

i have mine almost completely apart now. so your saying the starter body is cracked? im not aware of a case

The starter ripped itself out of the engine and broke the mounting bracket to the engine. I have pictures but cannot upload them. I pulled the cover off to see if anything was blocking the gears behind the magneto and it is clear I tried rotating the engine something internally is preventing it from rotating a full revolution.

im about to go outside and try and see what what your looking at. my sled is new to me also. hopefully whatever broke isnt part of engine case. and you prob wont turn the motor over by hand thats a two stroke thing.

I was using a pry bar. Ive been wrenching a while and it feels something is hitting internally. I'm just not familiar with this sled or engine setup. And it did damage the engine case. The machined hole that the starter goes through is part of the case and is ripped off. However I am also a fabricator and can fix that.

so i looked at mine and the starter mounts w 2 bolts looks like. only thing that looks like a bracket is part of the starter(where the two bolts go through). your saying the starter is out and the one of the threaded holes in block broke off ? cause they look flush w the block unless theres like an ear that sticks out w threads? or you mean other end ??(left if looking from front)

The bracket on the starter that bolts to the block is broke and there is no longer a hike for the starter to slide into, just a gaping hole in the case and cover

Sounds to me like it snapped a rod and sent it through the block where starter mounts. This would explain the locked up motor and block damage.
I didnt see any visual damage to the block but I didn't pull the starter completely out yet. Will look tonight

Nope got it as is yesterday. Seeing if it's worth fixing or parting out. Only has 4500 miles

Well I hope the seller mentioned the engine was junk....:)

I took it in on the premises of not running. Gave nothing for it. Trying to figure out if it's worth it getting it going

Back