• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex things to look for when purchasing used.

Brandon Doering

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2002 Yamaha SRX 700
2008 Yamaha Apex GT
Hey guys, new to the forum as a member. I am in the market to buy a used APEX. Looking at the RTX. I have owned several sleds and my last was an 02 SRX 700. My question is at what mileage do the drive bearings start going and how can I check them even if someone says they have had them changed? Also what are other things to look for besides the basics. I'm new to the four stroke sleds but have ridden many and love them. I only get to take like 2-3 trips a year so it won't get ridden constantly. Thanks all!

if not serviced the drive axle bearing on the speedo side can go out every other year and can take out the speedometer pick up sensor. you need to re-grease that one every year or replace. the jack shaft bearing behind the secondary clutch will go a little longer because it is not getting showered with snow but should also be re-greased yearly too when you are in there for the speedo bearing. the rest of them are good for around 10,000 miles or even more. to check them and or re-grease them you pop out the shields/covers on the bearings and look for rust use a needle greaser like you use on a chain saw bar to repack after cleaning.
exhaust donuts are the only other major repair for them they need attention every 5000 miles or so to prevent greater damage to other components like the header pipes. the rest is basic sled stuff.

i came from an SRX as well and if i was you i'd get a 2011 Apex or newer, that's what i did and i don't regret it. Engine breaking is greatly reduced compared to older models and you can pretty well eliminate it with a clutch kit. Power steering is also a great option because the older Apex's steered really heavy in the front. I've got the XTX and it handles great now after a bit of work/time setting it up.

Budget wise, I don't think I can afford that new of a sled. I have been looking like crazy. Plus I found the deal of the century on an 09 Apex RTX that I am picking up shortly looks like. The clutch kit will definitely happen along with some suspension upgrades. I appreciate you guys answering my question. Thanks! Already looking forward to this year and winter just got over with lol.

The RTX has the air shocks right? personally i wouldn't buy one with those because they are a PITA to adjust on trail. also keep in the mind the RTX is for rough trail so the setup on those shocks unless re-valved is going to be really firm. buddy had one and we could not get the air pressure right, we were always tinkering with it then he got rid of it and bought an 08 LTX anniversary with the ohlins. good luck

Thanks! I'll probably just replace the bearings regardless when I buy one here shortly.
The speedo bearing very easy to replace, that would be up to you if want to do it for PM. Now the Jackshaft bearing is very involved but dooable if you have the technical abilities. Have done two jackshaft bearings in the last 10 years.
So when you get it pop the secondary clutch off and then the seal and inspect, if bearing good just grease and go. Replaced my wifes on her 03 RX1 at 6k miles (did not grease as was not aware of it at the time back then) and my Sons RX1 at 13k miles (started greasing at 9k miles when learned of it on here) which
extended the life by greasing it. My Apexs so far have the original bearings on them as I have been keeping them greased, that is including all the skid frame wheels.
I am going to have to replace the exhaust doughnuts on my 09 this summer, they are getting noisy!

Thanks guys, I actually got a killer deal on an 08 Apex GT with 2500 miles. Top notch shape and has a bunch of extras done, like full excel headers/ exhaust, dynojet 5 tuner, Excel clutching on both primary and secondary plus dyno tuned. Great setup and am really happy and waiting for snow lol...aren't we all!

Thanks guys, I actually got a killer deal on an 08 Apex GT with 2500 miles. Top notch shape and has a bunch of extras done, like full excel headers/ exhaust, dynojet 5 tuner, Excel clutching on both primary and secondary plus dyno tuned. Great setup and am really happy and waiting for snow lol...aren't we all!
congrats on the new ride!!

Man you must have a long drive to go sledding. Awesome devotion to the greatest sport of them all.

Lol, yes it's about 15 hours to get where we go. I grew up in michigan so I won't ever give up snowmobiling, just can't go every weekend like I used to.

Lol, yes it's about 15 hours to get where we go. I grew up in michigan so I won't ever give up snowmobiling, just can't go every weekend like I used to.
Do you still go to Michigan to ride? The person I sold my two RX1s to in September took them to ride in Wyoming, that would be a cool trip someday, however would rent then pull sled trailer that far.

Do you still go to Michigan to ride? The person I sold my two RX1s to in September took them to ride in Wyoming, that would be a cool trip someday, however would rent then pull sled trailer that far.
Yes, I go back to ride in Michigan every year. Wouldn't miss it for nothing. We have been talking about renting mountain sleds out in Jackson Hole in 2 years for a week long trip, ready for some super deep powder.

High mileage sleds tend to have loose rivets. Look it over real good and try to turn rivets with your fingers. If they turn then they need to be replaced.
If you can find rivet issues in multiple areas its a good price lowering issue. They are simple to replace but a seller wants to sell and finding stuff like that helps your bargaining power.
If you buy a high mileage sled i suggest removing the gas tank and doing a thorough inspection on ALL the rivets that connect the tunnel to the front clip.
At 10000 miles all of mine were very loose and needed to be drilled out and replaced.
Some were so bad i had to drill them out and bolt them together.

Check the suspension arms for cracks. Get in there with a good light and look it over really well.
The suspension arms are a known weak point.

Take a look at the heat exchangers. Up front and under the running boards.
Running board are known to flex and crack the coolers. The coolers will weep antifreez slowly over long periods of time
Check the front heat exchanger and make sure it was not punctured. If it was, make sure it was welded properly and not fixed with jb weld.

Oil tank is also a weak point.
Look where the mounting brackets attach to the tank. Any cracks or oil residue and you are going to need a new tank.

If possible get it jacked up and check steering slop and a-arm bushing wear.

I think that covers it, lol

High mileage sleds tend to have loose rivets. Look it over real good and try to turn rivets with your fingers. If they turn then they need to be replaced.
If you can find rivet issues in multiple areas its a good price lowering issue. They are simple to replace but a seller wants to sell and finding stuff like that helps your bargaining power.
If you buy a high mileage sled i suggest removing the gas tank and doing a thorough inspection on ALL the rivets that connect the tunnel to the front clip.
At 10000 miles all of mine were very loose and needed to be drilled out and replaced.
Some were so bad i had to drill them out and bolt them together.

Check the suspension arms for cracks. Get in there with a good light and look it over really well.
The suspension arms are a known weak point.

Take a look at the heat exchangers. Up front and under the running boards.
Running board are known to flex and crack the coolers. The coolers will weep antifreez slowly over long periods of time
Check the front heat exchanger and make sure it was not punctured. If it was, make sure it was welded properly and not fixed with jb weld.

Oil tank is also a weak point.
Look where the mounting brackets attach to the tank. Any cracks or oil residue and you are going to need a new tank.

If possible get it jacked up and check steering slop and a-arm bushing wear.

I think that covers it, lol

All good tips. Just got a 2011 Apex SE with 10k on it, I'll be checking it over this summer. already know it needs an oil tank and the front end is LOOSE. I'l be dropping the suspension and going through that. Also figure I'll rebuild the shocks

Back