• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex totally dead, please help!

Wisconsin

Pro
Hello,

Installed DDM Tuning H4 HI/LO HID lights in my '06 apex. No instructions came with the kit. I thought it would be a bad idea to wire wired the hot wire of the ligts directly to the battery, so I wired it to a connection near the fuse block just to the left of the battery (while facing the sled standing in front of the skis). I wired into the left rear junction. This wire is hot only when the sled is on. There are two 10 amp blade fuses and one funky square 40 amp fuse in that block.

When I was done with the installation, the sled started fine and the lights worked appropriately. I went up to Butternut, WI the next day and the sled worked fine. This was a couple of weeks ago when the wind chill was -30 F. The next morning, the sled started a bit and then died. I went to start it again, and the battery was too weak to start it. This has never happened before, and my father's sled (similar apex) started fine. His battery is always weaker than mine when we start them in summer.

I had to hook up the sled to a truck to jump it. It then started fine and ran fine. However, a couple of times throughout the day of riding when I was off the throttle and the RPM's were low it cut out a bit. I'd give it gas and the sled would run fine for a while again. Also, twice, while idling for 30 seconds or so while stopped at intersections waiting for other sleds, my apex just turned off. It has never done that before, either. It would always fire right up, though, and the battery did not seem weak at all.

I went to turn it back on to ride it some more that night before I went to bed to make sure the battery wasn't freezing up or anything, and it was totally dead. Not even the gauge cluster turned on. I pulled it onto the trailer and took it home. I have since hooked it up to my new battery charger and it says the battery was low on charge, but nothing wrong with it, and it was holding 12.3 volts. I charged it up completely and still, the sled is completely dead when I turn the key.

Next, I removed the HID light power wiring connection from the terminal and still completely dead. I also hooked up my motorcycle battery (new last year), and it is completely charged, too, and still totally dead when I turn the key. I checked all of those fuses by the battery Including the 20 amp HID light fuse, and all look fine. I also don't think it is a blown fuse, as the sled was running fine when I last used it and turned it off (the HID lights were also working fine).

Thanks for any suggestions or help you can provide.

Do you have a picture of where you hooked into for power? It sounds like you might have hooked into the starter relay, although I don't think this would cause the problem you are having.

I would check the large wiring around that funky 40 amp fuse, and check that fuse too. Thats the main fuse for the sled's electrical system. There are also a couple white 'quick connect' connectors on the large wiring coming from the battery, check to make sure they are not unhooked. If they are not, unhook them and make sure there is not alot of corrosion in the connections. Sounds like a bad connection or blown main fuse somewhere to me. Hope that helps. Brad

I did check the main 40 amp fuse. It's a square block with a looking glass on top and held in by a rubber strap. The center metal connection looks good to me. Maybe I'll unplug all of the white connections and check them as you suggest. I can also unplug the main fuse and check for corrosion or any other issues. How can I check the fuse to make sure it is ok? I am at work, so I don't have a pic. Again, I didn't think it was a fuse, as the sled was working fine when I last turned it off.

toss an ohm meter/multimeter on both spades, if there is no resistance, its bad

I know the sled will do wierd things when you have a bad battery. I would start with a new battery (if yours is original) and then wire the hot directly to the battery with a fused line.

I think I can figure out a way to email you the schematic that came on my box.
PM me and let me know.

Attachments

• 2012-05-24 08.12.22-1.jpg
    2012-05-24 08.12.22-1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 146
also check and replace 40amp main and put die grease on the all the plug on relay that what was wrong with mine

Where do they sell that type of 40 amp main fuse? I haven't seen them in the store before. I'll be out of town tonight, but I'll check the fuses and clean the connections tomorrow. Thanks again everyone for your help.

Again, I think it might be more of a bad connection than a blown fuse, as the sled was running fine when I last got done riding it.

You can get the geen 40amp fuse at any parts store. I have a spare I purchased at NAPA. Part #782-1337. Check all your wiring for disconnect.

Found the problem. Ignition switch plug wires are melted. Two of the four wires at the switch plug are melted. I don't know how badly the harness to battery wires are melted, as I used a knife to bridge two of the connections on the harness side, and the gauge pod turned on, so I think that side is ok. used a knife to clean away melted plastic from the metal terminals. I've tried to clean the ignition switch plug as well as I can, but the wires must be too melted to make a solid contact. I think I'll have to remove my dad's ignition switch and try to plug it in to my sled and that should tell me if I only need a new ignition switch.

Back