• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex vs. Nytro

so my buddy picks up a Nytro, and after finally convincing him that just because it's a 1050, over my 1000 apex, that it's not faster, he orders a full excell exhaust, clutch kit and power commander. now I'm starting to wonder if my apex with the Ulmer stage 2 clutch is going to anhilate him like I was originally hoping to do.

Any comments??? He's got a 136 extension, studded, and the above mentioned mods, my apex is stock except for 168 studs, ulmer stage 2 clutch and CR10 plugs

RedlineViper said:
my apex is stock except for 168 studs, ulmer stage 2 clutch and CR10 plugs

Think about it. You start with 145 - 148 HP on your Apex and you have a clutch kit and studs. That many studs probably only slows you down IMHO (at least on top end).

Your buddy starts with a stock Nytro, which I believe has like 133 - 135 HP. The exhaust adds some HP and Power Commander gives some HP increases at various points depending on his mapping. He had to get that with his exhaust btw from what I've heard.... So where is he at now, like 145-ish? He's also added clutching and you both have studs.

I'd say you guys will be very close. If both have stock gearing, I bet he takes you off the line and wins short drag races. But I'm betting your Apex will have longer legs and take him top end easy. Just guessing tho.....

RedlineViper said:
so my buddy picks up a Nytro, and after finally convincing him that just because it's a 1050, over my 1000 apex, that it's not faster, he orders a full excell exhaust, clutch kit and power commander. now I'm starting to wonder if my apex with the Ulmer stage 2 clutch is going to anhilate him like I was originally hoping to do.

Any comments??? He's got a 136 extension, studded, and the above mentioned mods, my apex is stock except for 168 studs, ulmer stage 2 clutch and CR10 plugs

He will beat you until about 105mph or higher with those mods, but you will beat him on the top end. Put it this way, it may take 1200-1300feet before you pass him... IMO the race is over after that.... You need to do some work.

RedlineViper said:

He will beat you until about 105mph or higher with those mods, but you will beat him on the top end. Put it this way, it may take 1200-1300feet before you pass him... IMO the race is over after that.... You need to do some work. I have had both, with Full Excell Exhausts, airboxmods, PCIII/Ign and clutching and gearing. You would need the same mods to beat him under 1000ft. The big thing is that he has traction and you don't. You need to add traction, like go to a 128 and start adding mods. What size stud do you have?

i have both sleds. the nytro 0 to 80 by a length or two, after that all Apex. if you had an XTX Nytro w those mods it would close, but the shorties aproach angle keeps it from ever coming close to 100mph. more like 95 mph on radar on hardpack.in any fresh snow ( even 6" ) maybe 90 mph.

I have yet to see someone mention a significant variable such as rider weight... Have any of you swapped sleds with a lighter/heavier buddy and race??
I can swap sleds with my uncle who weighs 80lbs less and puts 3 sleds on me in 1,000' race.

my apex has 168, 1.375" studs. I used to run 144, but went with the fully clipped ripsaw with extroverts, and more studs. I never could hook with the 144, but comes out of the gate like an animal now. my sled is also a RTX, so it has the lower gearing from factory.

Yamcharger anyone?

RedlineViper said:
my apex has 168, 1.375" studs. I used to run 144, but went with the fully clipped ripsaw with extroverts, and more studs. I never could hook with the 144, but comes out of the gate like an animal now. my sled is also a RTX, so it has the lower gearing from factory.

Yamcharger anyone?

It will be close.... It all depends how he has it setup. If he had an XTX, I believe you would lose...

I agree with most of the people above, but first you have to decide what the race is?? If we are talking 1000ft he is probably going to win, unless his nytro hasd a charger I don't think he will ever beat you in a long race. In the trails he probably has the advantage. Also rider weight like BADSLED says.

SledFreak said:
RedlineViper said:

Yamcharger anyone?

It will be close.... It all depends how he has it setup. If he had an XTX, I believe you would lose...

X2

Why can't two friends just go out for a nice ride? Maybe see a deer or two and enjoy some fine food and companionship...........................come on Nytro kick his butt!!!

BADSLED said:
I have yet to see someone mention a significant variable such as rider weight... Have any of you swapped sleds with a lighter/heavier buddy and race??
I can swap sleds with my uncle who weighs 80lbs less and puts 3 sleds on me in 1,000' race.

Agreed, My sons Nytro is set up like my Apex and he weighs 150 and I weigh 215. We are very close on the hole-shot and up to 500 feet in the field. On hard packed I can pull much sooner and pass. When he rides my sled, the difference in weight is very evident at 100-200 feet and walks away convincingly. Love boths sleds!! ;)!

nytroD said:
i have both sleds. the nytro 0 to 80 by a length or two, after that all Apex. if you had an XTX Nytro w those mods it would close, but the shorties aproach angle keeps it from ever coming close to 100mph. more like 95 mph on radar on hardpack.in any fresh snow ( even 6" ) maybe 90 mph.

I have both as well and think your pretty accurate. My XTX will hang with some Apex's on top end, but a tad slower to the well maintained or tuned Apex's. My Apex has the 136 ZX-2, which did cost me in a bit of top end.
The Nytros are rockets in corner to corner running which is where I like it!

Dan

Back