• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex XTX for lighter rider?

twyztid

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX SE - TD Power Trail, CAI, 3" Super Quiet
2012 RS Vector
2006 Apex GT
My fiance & I are considering selling our 06 Apex GT that has been used for the last number of years as a spare. We are considering a 2011-2015 Apex XTX. She currently rides a 2012 Vector 136" and I have it setup to ride "like a couch" for her and she loves it. She really like the Deltabox II chassis (better than my Sidewinder) and might choose to ride the Apex XTX primarily, if we get one. With that said, seem like I have read that the rear suspension can be quite stiff for lighter riders. Is that true? Are there upgrades/mods that can be done to make it better? I weigh 180-185 without gear myself so I suppose it might even be too stiff for me.

Unless your vector is in tough shape, I would stick with it. Already have a bigger footprint, and EPS. I love my XTX, but if you have a 136 Vector, I don't know if the upgrade is worth it. Is she begging for the extra HP?

Unless your vector is in tough shape, I would stick with it. Already have a bigger footprint, and EPS. I love my XTX, but if you have a 136 Vector, I don't know if the upgrade is worth it. Is she begging for the extra HP?

The Vector is in excellent shape and she loves it. While she DOES love power, she is happy with her sled. But... the 1st time she ever rode my tuned 17 Sidewinder, she saw 108mph on the speedo. The 2nd time (the next day), she saw 112mph. :)

We are mainly looking to get rid of the 06 Apex GT and get a newer one with power steering to be the backup sled. I was considering the Apex XTX and thought she might decide to make that her primary rider, if she liked it better.

the 11-15 apex xtx stock torsion springs are quite stiff as i could not get them to ride/flex with them on full soft and i weight 260 lb on my 2011 xtx.

what i did to get that sled to ride well was install a set of hygear torsion spring spacers whne i installed 09 nitro xtx stock springs onto it. for my weight i used yamaha sr viper 4 position adjuster blocks on setting 4 and it rides awsome. at 37000 km on it, the springs have gone soft and i am putting a new set on for this coming season. when setting it up for a rider, i usually get them to sit on the sled and adjust the torsion tension blocks so that the transfer rods are at 40/60 dry, witch usually ends up at 50/50 when loaded with ice/snow. i then set the front skid shock so that it is stiff to rotate the spring with the rear of the sled suspended. my gf will not let me near my 11 when riding as it rides and handles so well. i end up having to sneak out with it for a hard ride to find what needs updating/fixing.

the 11-15 apex xtx stock torsion springs are quite stiff as i could not get them to ride/flex with them on full soft and i weight 260 lb on my 2011 xtx.

what i did to get that sled to ride well was install a set of hygear torsion spring spacers whne i installed 09 nitro xtx stock springs onto it. for my weight i used yamaha sr viper 4 position adjuster blocks on setting 4 and it rides awsome. at 37000 km on it, the springs have gone soft and i am putting a new set on for this coming season. when setting it up for a rider, i usually get them to sit on the sled and adjust the torsion tension blocks so that the transfer rods are at 40/60 dry, witch usually ends up at 50/50 when loaded with ice/snow. i then set the front skid shock so that it is stiff to rotate the spring with the rear of the sled suspended. my gf will not let me near my 11 when riding as it rides and handles so well. i end up having to sneak out with it for a hard ride to find what needs updating/fixing.
So are you saying that you WERE able to get it to ride well for someone that is in the 150-185 lb range?

my gf is not that light but yes it should.

Installing the Star suspension kit will make it ride awesome. My 130lbs wife loves her Apex.

Installing the Star suspension kit will make it ride awesome. My 130lbs wife loves her Apex.
Thanks. I just didn't want to get into ANOTHER sled that she doesn't like to ride. She hates our 06 Apex GT (setup for me) but I think that is mainly due to the short 121" track. She absolutely loves her 12 Vector since I extended it from 121" to 136".

Aren't the Hygear spacers made for STIFFENING the suspension (increase spring rate quicker) rather than making it softer? Seems like you are adding softer torsion springs and then stiffening them up with the Hygear spacers.

Aren't the Hygear spacers made for STIFFENING the suspension (increase spring rate quicker) rather than making it softer? Seems like you are adding softer torsion springs and then stiffening them up with the Hygear spacers.
Hygear spacers only keep the springs straighter on the shaft that they are over.

Hygear spacers only keep the springs straighter on the shaft that they are over.
That's not entirely true if you look at how they work... right on Hygear's website.

i added them after i had put the springs on and didn't really notice a difference ride wise but i liked how they held the long side of the spring from twisting in the slider loop as that was happening without them.

Why not consider an Apex SE 128"? Monoshock skid and coilover front, not the lousy FLOATS.

Why not consider an Apex SE 128"? Monoshock skid and coilover front, not the lousy FLOATS.
I have my eye on one but the shorter tracks seems to drop into the "holes/dips" more than the longer ones like a 136/137 or 144/146. It sounds like it might be the way to go, though, for rider weights of 150-185. I have read a number of posts since I started this one that the XTX model is very stiff in stock form as compared to the Mono2.

I have my eye on one but the shorter tracks seems to drop into the "holes/dips" more than the longer ones like a 136/137 or 144/146. It sounds like it might be the way to go, though, for rider weights of 150-185. I have read a number of posts since I started this one that the XTX model is very stiff in stock form as compared to the Mono2.
It's definitely stiffer than a Monoshock.

I added fx nytro springs to both my XTX'S and it made a nice difference.

Back