• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex "Y" Pipe Repair Advice

engineman

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Apex LTX, 2010 Vector LTX GT, 1996 Indy 500 SKS
Hey All,

I have an 09 ApexLTX with a cracked RH "Y" pipe on one side at 10K miles with copper donuts. I also have a bellows that is cracked as well. I purchased an FX Garage Works kit to fix the bellows problem before taking the exhaust out to install the kit. The RH "Y" pipe is cracked at the outlet(almost completely off) and near the front mounting tabs(just cracked with no pieces missing). It is titanium.

I have searched the forums and there are many opinions on how to fix this. The options for me at this point include welding up the Ti pipe, put on the FX kit and hope there are no more cracks OR buy new stainless "Y" pipes (probably for both sides since I am in there), cut off the flanges and install the FX kit OR buy one new bellows and the SS pipes and forgo the FX kit (not thinking this is the best as the other bellows are probably close to failing) OR weld up the existing Ti pipe, buy one bellows and forgo the FX kit(same concerns as the previous option). BTW I am really liking the FX kit as it eliminates the bellows and the donut issues.

I am a trail rider and I plan on keeping the sled for another 10K miles and want the exhaust to be as close to the reliability as the motor as possible(which is the reason I went to Yamaha in the first place).

Given the options above, or any others you may come up with, what direction do you think I should go? Obviously trying to keep $$ down and I do all the labor myself are also factors.

I also have a 10 VectorLTX that I have an FX kit coming for that has similar issues at about the same miles - but I haven't torn into it yet. Question - are the pipes on this Vector Ti or SS?

Thanks for your advice!!

Steve :)

You will not be able to weld the titanium pipes.
Keep us posted as to what you choose and what your experience is.

You will not be able to weld the mounting tab crack so that pipe needs replacement. Try to get a used one and install the FX kit.

Thanks RAM/Rick for your replies!

Should I try and get a used SS pipe if I can? I was thinking that a Ti pipe could be "wounded" from vibration and in a potentially short time I could be replacing it again.

At that point maybe two SS pipes and the FX kit could be the best long term answer? I am kind of answering my own question in a way..... :)

Steve

Yep your on the right track, should be some used ones out there.

Update: After confirming with FX Garage their kit will work with the updated Yamaha stainless steel pipes, I bit the bullet and bought two new pipes. My thinking is this is probably the direction that has the best chance of giving me another 10K miles trouble free. Pipes should arrive late this week or early next week.

Thanks for the replies!

Steve:-o

Let us Know how it goes, I'm thinking about going with the FX Garageworks kit.

Let us Know how it goes, I'm thinking about going with the FX Garageworks kit.
They don't fit real well...had to sell my spare set of y-pipes and header pipes to my buddy because the FX kit would not seal up enough to stop backfiring. Great idea...but...

Exhaust cement or something maybe but it's a very expensive kit and really should just work.

DoktorC - Thanks for your insight.

Where were the system leaking? At the engine side or on the "Y" pipe side? Was the leaking simply between the FX pipes and the Yamaha pipes(perhaps from pipes sizes being too different) or was there leaking at the cut points (potentially from pipes not being overlapped enough or the cut points too deep) needed for the clamps to actually compress the outer pipe to the inner pipe?

Just trying to get a feel of the challenges ahead of me..... ;)

Thanks!

Steve

DoktorC - Thanks for your insight.

Where were the system leaking? At the engine side or on the "Y" pipe side? Was the leaking simply between the FX pipes and the Yamaha pipes(perhaps from pipes sizes being too different) or was there leaking at the cut points (potentially from pipes not being overlapped enough or the cut points too deep) needed for the clamps to actually compress the outer pipe to the inner pipe?

Just trying to get a feel of the challenges ahead of me..... ;)

Thanks!

Steve

I wasn't part of the install...but..the pipes were leaking on the header side (staining the head with exhaust) and the pipes were loose fitting. Better/stronger stainless band clamps were used that tightened up the gap but my assumption is the loose fitment means the cut out "voids" are still leaking even with overlap (because that area won't crush).

I wasn't part of the install...but..the pipes were leaking on the header side (staining the head with exhaust) and the pipes were loose fitting. Better/stronger stainless band clamps were used that tightened up the gap but my assumption is the loose fitment means the cut out "voids" are still leaking even with overlap (because that area won't crush).

Thanks for the information! I'll keep an eye on this when I go through the install hopefully this weekend.

Perhaps Kevin @ FX may have some advice as I think he monitors this website?

Steve

So I pulled my sleds out of the trailer when it was 65 out the other day to wash them, and without my helmet on to muffle noise I could hear exhaust noise on my 09 Apex.
I am going to pull the sled apart to see what needs to be done, doughnuts or worse pipes, I am worried about pipe issues being bad on this one.
Was wondering if the exhaust pipes from my 03 RX1 would work, I have the complete exhaust with the pipes that connect to the head with 4 new copper gaskets.
I had my RX pulled apart a couple years ago to do the doughnuts and found one broken flex pipe, so ordered one and pulled sled and trailer out of my garage while waiting for parts, and my sled and trailer was stolen.
I have the complete exhaust that was left in the garage so my question without having my Apex apart to compare, are the exhaust parts the same just not titanium?

I believe the RX1 Y pipes are a different length. Too short if I remember correctly

You are correct. They are about 1.5" shorter in overall length. If you weld on extension or make a slip fit adaptor they are a direct it.

Back