• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Are stock Apex skis really that bad?

rooster67

I keep reading reviews on Apex sleds and it is continually coming up concerning poor skis that have a real tendency for darting. I presume the 2007 models are the same as the 08's. Is it worth the upgrade and if so, which ski is a good way to go?
Thanks for the help!

With a ski bumper shim and new carbides, the stock ski is OK for a trail ski. I installed Bergstrom Triplepoints and a 1/4" skishim before day 2 of a TY ride. 99% of my darting was eliminated. If you venture offtrail at all, the stock ski is not wide enough to float the frontend of an Apex or Attak. I have had excellent results with my Slydog Powderhounds. Work great ontrail, and offtrail they float the front of my Attak very well. This is in UP granular snow which is VERY dry and doesn't pack very well. Other's have had succes with different skis and wearbars, but this setup does EVERYTHING I need a ski to do ;)!

You'll get a lot of varied opinions on this one. I would say "YES" they are that bad. While I'm a big fan of the shims combined with Bergstom carbides (used that setup for years on my SRX) it just didn't quite do enough on my APEX. Worked well on hardpack but could be down-right dangerous in crust conditions. I switched to simmons skis and have been happy ever since.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the stock skis are bad, it's just that they could be so much better, especially as these sleds become so advanced in performance and design. Yamaha should start to think about improving them for the future as they are getting a reputation for the worst OEM ski.

Slydogs, C&A Pros, Simmons, SLP Powderpros, Kimpex and others as well, are skis that offer significant improvement over stock. If you do a search you will find the pros and cons of these skis and only you can make an informed decision if they are worth the upgrade.

I would certainly make sure that your stock skis are properly aligned first, and them shim them accordingly. Upgrading the runners is a definite must, as stock carbide is a joke (as all OEMs do).

There is a wealth of information here, and there basically isn't a question that hasn't been asked before.

As stated before....I think the stock skis are okay for trail use if set up correctly. I had no problems getting around corners with my Attak with 8" carbines. The machine did not dart around....to awful bad.

However, when ever I went off trail...that is a different story. I have since replaced my stock skis with the C@A Pro XT's. ( 7.250 wide ) with 6" carbines. The stockers just didn't do a good job of keeping the front end up.

-1CS

I got pilot 6.9's for my rtx, should be in on monday or tuesday. I think they were $90 a bottom at my ski doo dealer. I think these will fit the bill for me, less darting, easier steering, much better flotation with that 6.9 then the stock yammie ski. Priced very fair too.

For $239 you can buy a complete Pilot 5.7 package from Ski-Doo. It comes with 4" carbides. This is a "no brainer" in my opinion. There are other great skis out there, but the "value" in this package is as high as it gets. Solid ski design and no darting, good deal.

C and A's my choice

I have a set of C and A's ADX's on my Apex ER one of the best upgrades that I did to my sled with no darting and floatation is excellent. I run 10" snow cross carbides for a real aggressive bite!

I've added Woody's Dooleys to my stock skis, but I lost alot of mileage, and I don't think it was the best decision. I would rather have the Doo ski, but the Dooley was a pretty good improvement for the money. I ride with 3 other sleds that also run the Dooley, so I still get the Dartin when I'm follwing them.

doolies worked for me.from dangerous darting to just right comfortable! never really noticed the decrease in speed, already goin as fast as I care to! Honk

I think the doolies can slow you down a bit on ice. But, I don't go 100+ on trails and seldom venture out on the lake, especially a lake with bare ice. So they work for me. They stop the darting. But, when the stock skis finally wear out, I will probably NOT get OEM replacements.

I am surprised that Yamaha has not addressed this issue. They do so well addressing other large and minor issues. Yet, they appear to be ignoring their marginally effective skis.

You guys are surprised that Yamaha hasn't addressed the skis??
They ignored the rear suspension bottoming and rebound problem for two years........LOL

I didn't think the stock skis were too bad after I shimmed them.
Just bought new 7.5 Shaper bars, which when installed on my Ski-Doo flex skis, worked wonderful and made the thing cut like a monster.

I found Doolys to be absolutely terrible when I tried them back to back with standard carbides. They loose cornering bite, drop the top speed A LOT in snow, lose mileage, and are expensive. For me aftermarket skis (Slydog or C&A, have used both) are the only way to go

I'm using the DEUCE runners from STUD BOY on stock skiis, a BIG improvement elimenates darting to 90% and what a difference in cornering, they really BITE with a 13mm sway bar.

Is there a kit price for the 6.9 pilots like there is for the 5.7 pilots? I am thinking the 6.9's are the way to go for me as I like boondocking alot and I did wish for more flotation last winter. I really like SLP powderpros' but if the 6.9 pilots can be had for close to the 5.7 pilot price to me that's a no brainer. Gene

Back