• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Attak vs. Renegade

ktmhk53

Suspended
Greetings,
Its time to put some money down on a new sled for this season and the choice is between an '07 Attak or Ski-Doo Renegade 1000 SDI.
Which would you choose and why?
My areas of concern are:

Durability
Mileage
Power
Off-trail Flotation
Handling
Fit-Finish

Thanks for your advice! :Rockon:

ktmhk53

Four stroke all the way.
I had the 1000sdi last year and unloaded it before the warrentee went out..
I got to ride my new Attak last year before the snow went away. :4STroke:

I ride with a few renegades. On groomed trail the Attak is a better sled. When off trail in powder the Renegade totally dominates the Attak. Gas mileage is a little better with the Renegade.Top speed the Attak wins out & 0-70 mph is a coin toss.

In answering your questions realize that some are opinion and some are fact. That being said...

Durability (Opinion but research would most likely show fact)
While there have been a few issues with the Apex in its first year out, I have only heard one story of mechanical failure (chaincase) were someone was stranded. I can't say anything for the Rev as I only know one persone that owns one, (no issues this year). That being said I think that 4 stroke engines, no matter whom the manufacture may be, are far more relieable than a common class two stroke. You can argue all you want but if you were stranded and had to pick from the two as your only way out what would you go with?

Mileage (fact however depends on how it's ridden)
There are some who seem to get 18-20 MPG on there Apex/Attak. And there are some complaining about their mileage. The fact is if you plan to rid a great deal of powder your going to burn more gas. It's a heavier sled and revs at a much higher RPM therefore more gas will be used. However on the trail crusing along I can not see how the REV can get better mileage. The one in our group is the first to need fuel everytime. More importantly the oil. It's said so much that it almost seems like a clitche but it's true. If you ride 2000 miles in a year. At $3.00 a gallon getting ~15.0 MPG that ends up being 133.3 gallons of gas for the year equaling $400.00. For the Apex/ Attak your looking at maybe $25.00 in oil. You can use what ever you want and only need to change/ add once a year. For the Rev. going buy what the guys in my group use (Amsoil) your looking at around $30.00 a gallon. yes you can get it cheaper, however when your low and at a gas station in the middle of noware you'll pay top dollar so it's an average. Anyway that equates to ~$80.00 in oil for the 2000 mile year. That means 20% of your operating costs are in oil, on the Apex/Attak it's about 6.25%. You tell me what's less expensinve to operate. Obviously this is an important topic to me. I'm just sick of adding or trying to carry extra oil that ends up in a mess. I'm just glad I'm done with it. At least on my snowmobile.

The remaining questions are purely opinion base. Power, it depends what type of ridding you do. Trail, Drag, Lakes, Hills. Obviously the numbers are available but the type of power is different with the Apex/Attak.

Off trail Floatation, most likely the Gade wins just a lighter machine. I never ridden the Gade so thats speculation.

Handling, again what type of ridding are you planning on doing the most. Does the Apex/Attak handle as good as the Rev in the really bad stuff. No, everyone agrees that the Rev is hands down the best handling big bump sled out there. However most can't ride them for very long as the seating position leaves something to be desired.

Fit and finish. Everyone alway says the Yamaha has the best fit and finish. Well I believe I'll have to agree. It not so much the fit but more the finish; the materials used and the way the machine is assembled. For this one it's personal preferance. Go to the shop and start opening pannels and inspecting both of them.

:4STroke: :4STroke: :4STroke:

Greetings again,
Thank you for the thoughtful replies, keep them coming! ;)!
Seeing the video review, and reading all the comments about the Renegade's superior off-trail abilities, I'm wondering if either a different style of track (though one still geared towards hard-pack trail), or a wider track (16" if it would fit) would improve the Attak's flotation in the powder to compete with the 'Gade?

What do you think?

ktmhk53

My Attak was dismal in real deep powder. You need to shallow the approach angle of the track to make it perform better cus it really trenches badly. It is not the track handicapping it,s deep snow ability cus my buds Crossfire with a 136 ripsaw annhilated my Attak in deep snow performance. It,s deep snow flotation is all about shallowing out the approach angle. The 97-99 mountain maxes did the same thing till they fixed that problem in 2000.

Another thing I would consider very strongly is the integrity of each sleds front end. I ride with a group of guys that all ride the Rev Chasis and they think nothing of spending up to $1000.00 to fix their front ends each time they brush against anything that is remotely solid. Every year I would estimate that 2/5 of the Rev's need front end work because they seem to be too fragile. JMHO

I think this is a well known fact!!

The first thing you listed was Durability, Attak hands down. At a show last year looking at the 06's I talked in great length to a Renegade owner that was pissing and moaning about his sled being in the shop awaiting it's 2nd replacement engine. He was ordeing an Attak.
As far as off trail I don't believe much can be done to get the Attak to compete, it's simply too heavy. On trail it's hard to beat.
If you update often and do more off trail I would seriously consider the Renegade.

Durability: Yamaha
Mileage: flip a coin but the Yami doesn't need 2-smoke oil
Power: flip a coin here too
Off-trail Flotation: Doo
Handling: edge to Doo
Fit-Finish: Yamaha

If you want a long term bullet proof sled that's pretty damn good all around get the Attak.

It ain,t the weight hampering the attak in deep snow ; it is the steep track approach angle. The front end stays on top of the snow fine. The rear end digs a huge trench no matter how you set up the rear skid with the limiters or shock/spring settings. The Attak is an awesome sled but if you do lots of off trail riding especially in deep snow buy brand X. I might even look at a phazer mtn for off trail riding in my area!

This is a no brainer. For what most of us use a sled for(90% trail riding) the Attak is fair superior. For Off trail in deep snow the Gade is marginally better but in that application neither really shines, you need a mountain ride. Just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

studdog said:
This is a no brainer. For what most of us use a sled for(90% trail riding) the Attak is fair superior. For Off trail in deep snow the Gade is marginally better but in that application neither really shines, you need a mountain ride. Just my opinion, and I could be wrong.
the gade is more than marginally better. heck, my 121" pro x with a ripsaw is better than my attak off trail! :o|

Back