• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BACK FIRING BEWARE

You and gizzytrackes provide excellent, informative information on this site and that’s why I’m apart of it.
I will continue to post technical findings and help other owners.
I will tone it down on this issue.
Your comments where not RUDE at all.
It’s just a guy speaking his mind!!!!

You and gizzytrackes provide excellent, informative information on this site and that’s why I’m apart of it.
I will continue to post technical findings and help other owners.
I will tone it down on this issue.
Your comments where not RUDE at all.
It’s just a guy speaking his mind!!!!
We understand and its well beyond frustrating and talking about it. Thats why I just dont want to talk about it anymore. Nothing any of us can do about it so we may as well just enjoy our sleds for what they are.

View attachment 138015 View attachment 138016 In 2017 my sled backfired so loud it blew it wide open and had to get it replaced in Quebec on a trip.
This year went on a trip to Quebec after Christmas and it backfired 3x at -30 but never blew apart.
Just completed a 2k saddlebag trip and when I got home I pulled the muffler because it didn’t sound right.
Well quests what!!!!!!!

Guys pull your mufflers and inspect.

You always have the option to Report it to the consumer products safety commission.
They will investigate it. If you can provide proof of it happening to others and proof of things like potential fire hazards.
The cpsc can force them to recall the product to fix it.
Personally, i hate doing stuff like this, but many here including myself have had this same issue and the fix by yamaha is simply replace the muffler.
They are not addressing the actual issue, just replacing the part that failed

Yamaha is obviously moving away from the snowmobile business and instead becoming an engine supplier. I don't think that they focused on the Sidewinder seeing how they don't build that chassis either. Yamaha directed their attention toward a new high performance turbo engine that was most likely developed and installed in the Cat chassis under a new legal agreement which allowed them to step away from Arctic Cat's attempt to provide engine control.

If you're unhappy with the way you spend your hard earned money you always have the right to spend it elsewhere.

While i understand the point you are trying to make, its a bit unfair to say to a guy that has already spent his hard earned money, he has the right to spend it somewhere else.. The money is gone. Not all of us can afford to trade in every year. Myself, i need to keep my 14 till 2020 before i can even think about a new sled.

I can say without hesitation, Had i known the mess i was buying when i purchased a viper i would have stayed far far away from it.
Trade in or sale will get me nowhere near the cost for a comparable sled.
I get that they all have problems, but the reason we are all buying these sleds is because of the yamaha motor, otherwise we would be on pure cats
This should have been the one thing we could rely on, unfortunately, its not

On a side note, i saw a new cat 800 motor that was shooting flames out the exhaust for a solid 20 seconds after long hard pulls.
If anyone is looking to the new 800 as a cure to the viper issues they might want to rethink it.
That thing is eventually gonna burst into flames.

Yamaha is obviously moving away from the snowmobile business and instead becoming an engine supplier. I don't think that they focused on the Sidewinder seeing how they don't build that chassis either. Yamaha directed their attention toward a new high performance turbo engine that was most likely developed and installed in the Cat chassis under a new legal agreement which allowed them to step away from Arctic Cat's attempt to provide engine control.

If you're unhappy with the way you spend your hard earned money you always have the right to spend it elsewhere.
Been there, done that..............

Wow.......I'm glad I checked this area out and this is the first time I checked the viper area out, as this will help me make a choice as to how I spend my money!!!!!

Wow.......I'm glad I checked this area out and this is the first time I checked the viper area out, as this will help me make a choice as to how I spend my money!!!!!
Dont let it get to you. Would I buy it again? No I wouldnt. But its a Principal thing. Not because I havent enjoyed the heck out of my Viper. It has NEVER failed to start and has NEVER had to be towed or left me stranded. Going on 12,000mi now. It also is more affordable than any 2st 800 to run. It is also the best handling best suspension Yamaha I have ever ridden. When I bought in 13 I didnt know the run quality issues. They reared their ugly head the first year for many. Its well documented here. Nobody who is here should have any of the issues come as a surprise. In all but the most EXTREME cases the issues are more than livable.

For me it's coming down to Viper or Vector........and I have an 08' which is y I might stay with the Vector.......but its going to come down to price, for the right price I might get a sidewinder, lol

I've taken my loses many times over the years and I'm not an overly wealthy individual so yea, it hurts. I understand the frustration but we all make a conscious decision to spend money on an expensive toy that has a history of being somewhat unreliable at times regardless of manufacture.

If I were in the market of making another snowmobile purchase and had a choice between any of the Pure Yamaha sleds and the Viper I'd still pick the Viper. It has it's own set of quirky problems but overall it's still as reliable as any other sled out there. In fact the majority of Viper's sold including mine don't have a backfire or problematic starting issue. We just hear about the handful of ones that do.

I hate to say it this way, but I am glad I am not the only one with the xtreme cold (-40c to -25c ) backfire issues. Just started this year. Hoping some changes to my PCV map will help but not holding my breath.

That being said, once I do get it running its a blast to ride

Last edited:
my viper backfired so hard on the firs day I rode it , at - 12f my ears rang all day Was inside the aluminum enclosed trailer and people came running it was so loud, looking for a fire. my sled has always been much louder then the ltx I ride with I may pull the muffler and see if it blew out the back.......agree sled should run much better. my carbed vector starts easier, is faster and gets 3-5 mpg better and that's just sad

Carb'd Vector is a smaller engine so better gas mileage is expected.

I've taken my loses many times over the years and I'm not an overly wealthy individual so yea, it hurts. I understand the frustration but we all make a conscious decision to spend money on an expensive toy that has a history of being somewhat unreliable at times regardless of manufacture.

If I were in the market of making another snowmobile purchase and had a choice between any of the Pure Yamaha sleds and the Viper I'd still pick the Viper. It has it's own set of quirky problems but overall it's still as reliable as any other sled out there. In fact the majority of Viper's sold including mine don't have a backfire or problematic starting issue. We just hear about the handful of ones that do.
Thats whats nice about buying almost any Yamaha. I dont HAVE to buy another till I feel like it. I agree if I HAD too I would buy another Viper or maybe a Winder but I dont so will wait for the Unicorn Pure Yamaha lightwieght narrow Cat Like suspension NA 200hp 4cyl Crossplane sled and keep modding and riding mine till it Magicly appears!

Back