• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bad Oil leak - Mystery solved

You're just getting warmed up.:p

You beat me! Gah! I'll have it out tomorrow and waiting for my oil pan gasket to arrive. I found a O ring at one of the 5 dealers in the US it was my local one! I'm picking it up tonight! If my oil pan gasket shows up from partzilla I could have it back together on Sunday! (ok that is WAY optimistic LOL)

Its out! Time to crack it open in the morning!
4A081FE8-A829-4079-A207-D8B6CBE37765.jpeg
607633A9-ADA4-4512-B16F-13205E37AE89.jpeg

I see you went underneath to disconnect the coolant line. I just lifted the motor up a foot as the is enough flex and swivel in the line and disconnected it. Put it back in the same way.

Oil pan gasket is a mess.

96D7AAEE-2255-4905-B9DF-54B4C46797E2.jpeg
Also the O ring looked fine, possibly shrunk about 1mm then the new one?!? Hard to believe that much oil coming from that.
07CEA46A-4037-455C-842A-903B6048E801.jpeg

It’s definitely coming from that area. You can see the dye trail in my UV light

EC768CEF-A041-47A9-92F3-C22157694DBA.jpeg

Oil screen looks pretty clean. Not a metal shaving anywhere.

97382760-FC5D-4921-8FD9-55C77B056F18.jpeg

I would clean the whole area where the water pump O ring seals with acetone and use RTV on the seal and surfaces when I reassembled everything...no more leaks. Also a light coating of RTV on the oil pan gasket surfaces wouldn't hurt.
"The Right Stuff" is a RTV product that is very effective for these applications.

I would clean the whole area where the water pump O ring seals with acetone and use RTV on the seal and surfaces when I reassembled everything...no more leaks. Also a light coating of RTV on the oil pan gasket surfaces wouldn't hurt.
"The Right Stuff" is a RTV product that is very effective for these applications.

Shoot I just assembled today. I could pull it apart again. I lubed the o ring with oil and she snapped back together in perfect fashion. Also cleaned all the mating surfaces to perfection.

Shoot I just assembled today. I could pull it apart again. I lubed the o ring with oil and she snapped back together in perfect fashion. Also cleaned all the mating surfaces to perfection.

I would not pull it apart again. The way you assembled it was the way Yamaha did it and it is working great on 1o,ooos of apex engines!
LOL
I don't pretend to be smarter then Yamaha's engineers

When I fitted the O ring it acted WAY to big, like would not go in. The groove in the block is wider then the O ring and it finally bedded itself into place. This gave me a little hope that maybe my old one just shrunk being in storage for 4 years with no start. It definitely seemed like a better fit then the old one I took out. The oil pan gasket was brittle and a mess, I saw small trace amounts in certain places that maybe gets worse with heat and would explain why the entire width of the pan was covered in oil when it was leaking. Maybe I'll get lucky and both of these combined were the culprits. I have decided in the off season that I will rebuild the engine with a professional so even if it leaks a little as long as I can get one more trip in adding a qt every once in awhile I will be happy.

Got the SC mounted, and checked the clutch alignment and it was SPOT on...phew! Also the MPI pulley lined up perfectly the first time! So I am almost ready to fire tonight! Should be on snow this weekend for a test run! Fingers crossed the oil stays where its supposed too!

Back