• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts Oil Tank Gasket

hibshman25

Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx dx
2018 snoscoot
I had great success running a phazer oil tank on my sidewinder this past season, but have not given up on a simple gasket to seal the existing cases. I tried some gasket ideas last fall with no luck, but I came up with another idea that seemed too simple...but it works! I have some details to address, but my tank filled with water last night has not leaked a drop! I know this has been a pet peeve for many and this gasket idea will be much cheaper than building new stand alone tanks.

IMG_0248.jpg

Nice!!!
I'm guessing you'll see if it holds the the dreaded pressure built up from a stuck (frozen) roll over valve.

Nice!!!
I'm guessing you'll see if it holds the the dreaded pressure built up from a stuck (frozen) roll over valve.

I plan to pressure test it down at my Dad's weld shop as all the fittings and such are there.

Got my prototype gasket translated to a CAD file yesterday so going to get some samples made up soon.

Nice!!!

If it leaked oil past the gasket, at least you would be able to clear out the ROV, top up the oil and keep riding. With the current sealant it's an overnight job to wait for the silicone to dry.

Just a thought here, could a rear end cap style vent installed in the top of the tank possibly work? Any thoughts from the experts on this site?

Wouldn't hot oil have a higher chance of leaking or seeping than just room temperature water?

Reactions: RTX
I have not had my oil tank apart. Are the surfaces just flat, machined surfaces? If so, there are also a lot better sealants to use than RTV silicone like the factory may have used. An anaerobic gasket maker would be at the top of my list if it is a close-fitting, flat machined surface.

I'm the Performance Gasket manager at Mahle I have all sorts of gaskets made. If I can help let me know as I have the capability of getting the proper material. All I would need is a tank to make a die off of.

I have not had my oil tank apart. Are the surfaces just flat, machined surfaces? If so, there are also a lot better sealants to use than RTV silicone like the factory may have used. An anaerobic gasket maker would be at the top of my list if it is a close-fitting, flat machined surface.

If you want to take a look at some pics of both surfaces, go to RockerDan’s build thread. He has a quick jump link to that and many others. Really helpful pics and tutorials.

If you want to take a look at some pics of both surfaces, go to RockerDan’s build thread. He has a quick jump link to that and many others. Really helpful pics and tutorials.

I found the pics and see that the one oil tank half is grooved as well kind of like the chaincase side but no o-ring seal. I wonder why they decided to make it that way but without an actual o-ring seal? On the other hand, they DID put the oil tank in that location so it appears they weren't thinking clearly in the first place.

I found the pics and see that the one oil tank half is grooved as well kind of like the chaincase side but no o-ring seal. I wonder why they decided to make it that way but without an actual o-ring seal? On the other hand, they DID put the oil tank in that location so it appears they weren't thinking clearly in the first place.

All to save weight and space is my guess. Once a design mistake is made, it sticks. It seems that this has been around for quite sometime.

Back