• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts Driveshaft Saver....Bearing Lock

Awesome Travis! Keep up the good work and keep us posted! Plan on spending some money with you over the summer! Now...group buy on your powersteering? I think you would sell a s..t load of them! Lol Thanks again for making these sleds more reliable.

I think the concept is valid. My only concern is,will the snap ring be able to handle the load that the side loading will put on it?

Is there any concern with side loading the roller bearing with the bolts?

I would worry about side loading the INNER snap ring on the axle, and also the outer snap ring will get side loaded by these 3 screws. Also, now the brake rotor is not floating, It will play havoc on the lever feel.

Dan

I think the concept is valid. My only concern is,will the snap ring be able to handle the load that the side loading will put on it?

My concern too. I don't think it will as it is, however you could put a bolt on collar over the top of the snap ring to contain the snap rings outer dia. and then I think it will. You will also need a collar to go over the top of the inner circlip both to hold it in the grove and take up about 1/16" of space as I recall as the bearing does not sit against that inner circlip. I used a 1/16" o-ring to sit between the inner bearing and circlip on my when I assembled it last to help apply some pressure on the bearing race and help hold it.

This is a great idea that just need those few tweaks I think. If we can't hold it against the circlip and contain it, we may need a weldment that I have seen done earlier here.

How about a round wedge aluminum Slug that'll expand when tightened inserted into the drive shaft and a long bolt against a cupped piece of aluminium machined to grab the rotor? So long as it can't dislodge itself. I'm not a machienest but I think that may also have a little flex to it which wouldn't be a bad thing. The bolt if locked in somehow with a cotter pin or something to ensure it doesn't come loose and start flying around in the clutches would be nice touch also.

Saw where some one drilled a tapped the drive shaft for a set screw. Seems like a simple idea.

Saw where some one drilled a tapped the drive shaft for a set screw. Seems like a simple idea.
Several of us did that.

I believe Travis is trying to develop a nice fix, that is simple and straightforward so we can all fix this issue, which is likely the worst problem this sled faces(that is not easily cured).

Many of us added green bearing seat compound, but then the issue may be its very hard to take apart. Im glad Travis is putting his mind to this problem, it sure seems like YAM/CAT just dont care as its been pretty much same design since '12.

Dan

I had the outer snap ring break on my Winder last year. It didn't come off because it only partially broke but had I not caught it I'm sure it would have.

IMG_2478 (800x600).jpg

You don’t need rotor float. Some vehicles have it, but not nessasary.

I like your fix, it’s simple and I’m sure will work. I would be a little more worried about someone tightening the screws unevenly or to tight, causing the snap ring to fail.
I don’t think the rotor would come off because the caliper captivates it, but it is a braking part and you might get into legal issues if someone had a problem. Definitely use locktight on those three bolts.
M2C

Back