• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts Rear Tunnel Stiffeners

hibshman25

Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx dx
2018 snoscoot
I've been developing some storage rack mounts for linq, and rotopax accessories. With numerous reports of tunnels bending when carrying cargo I'm also working on tunnel stiffeners to be included with my mounting system. I will also sell the tunnel stiffeners separate as many already have cargo mounts on their sleds.

Many have opted for aftermarket bumpers for strength but the weak area in my opinion is right in front of the bumper. I also prefer a cleaner look, so my plates will rivet on the inside of tunnel. Below is a preview of the plate. Its a 6061 aluminum and 1/8" thick. I located rivet holes accordingly so there should be enough room to get a drill in perpendicular to the plate. I plan to install the first set tomorrow on my sled.

IMG_3239.jpg

Good call. Sounds great the only thing is ice builds up big time and already rubs hard on the sides of the track if not removed ....whats your thoughts on this.
And what are those rivets going to look like on the outside.

I too would like to carry fuel but am also worried about 2 part tunnel weakness

Last edited:
Good call. Sounds great the only thing is ice builds up big time and already rubs hard on the sides of the track if not removed ....whats your thoughts on this.
And what are those rivets going to look like on the outside.

I too would like to carry fuel but am also worried about 2 part tunnel weakness

Plates are only .125 thick. They dont stick out any further than existing stamped raised rib on inside of tunnel.

You could bring rivets in from the outside in!just saying

I've been developing some storage rack mounts for linq, and rotopax accessories. With numerous reports of tunnels bending when carrying cargo I'm also working on tunnel stiffeners to be included with my mounting system. I will also sell the tunnel stiffeners separate as many already have cargo mounts on their sleds.

Many have opted for aftermarket bumpers for strength but the weak area in my opinion is right in front of the bumper. I also prefer a cleaner look, so my plates will rivet on the inside of tunnel. Below is a preview of the plate. Its a 6061 aluminum and 1/8" thick. I located rivet holes accordingly so there should be enough room to get a drill in perpendicular to the plate. I plan to install the first set tomorrow on my sled.

View attachment 145090
How about heating elements on the inside of the tunnel for melting ice since were chipping ice for 10 min before every ride

I am interested, as I was one of the bent tunnel culprits.

Now I only run the factory Yamaha tunnel bag which is very limited for fuel, storage etc.

View attachment 145090

Any update on this?

interested also. bent the sh!t out of my tunnel from carrying tools in my bag to make clutching adjustments for blown belts!

Just curious on those with bent tunnels what model sled do you guys have? I have an XTX 141 with the ski-doo 3gal tank and the bigger luggage bag and haven't had any issues thus far. But I wouldn't mind the extra support as OP has shown.

Sounds like your running the upnorthtech bracket? I haven't heard any bent tunnels using this bracket. 3 gal is alot of weight too!

Sounds like your running the upnorthtech bracket? I haven't heard any bent tunnels using this bracket. 3 gal is alot of weight too!
Yes it is the dual one. The gas tank is nice and snugged up right behind the seat. And then the luggage bag behind the tank. Along with the stock sidewinder bag with what it came with.

Just curious on those with bent tunnels what model sled do you guys have? I have an XTX 141 with the ski-doo 3gal tank and the bigger luggage bag and haven't had any issues thus far. But I wouldn't mind the extra support as OP has shown.

SRX. Yamaha tunnel bag. Spare belts, tool kit, and a 60oz plastic whiskey bottle! Got into some rough trails one day this weekend. Got to the motel and my tunnel has caved in on the back. its brutal.

Will be installing a 1/2" piece of puckboard in the bottom of my bag to hopefully absorb the hits.

Back