• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts Upper Idler Wheel Puller

hibshman25

Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx dx
2018 snoscoot
Ironically the upper idler wheel bearings have a tighter tolerance fit up than the driveshaft and makes removing them somewhat of a pain. The Cat wheel puller is pricey so I've designed a puller that only requires drilling 2 holes in the idler wheel. It works very well and I will have some made up to sell if anyone is interested. Thinking I will retail for around $40.

Backing plate serves as a guide to drill the holes in idler wheel. Once holes are drilled you bolt assembly together and then just go back and forth running the nuts in until the wheel is off.

puller1.jpg
puller 3.jpg
puller 2.jpg
puller 4.jpg

Looks like a great idea Travis. Well done. I will be getting in touch with you to order one.

Ironically the upper idler wheel bearings have a tighter tolerance fit up than the driveshaft and makes removing them somewhat of a pain. The Cat wheel puller is pricey so I've designed a puller that only requires drilling 2 holes in the idler wheel. It works very well and I will have some made up to sell if anyone is interested. Thinking I will retail for around $40.

Backing plate serves as a guide to drill the holes in idler wheel. Once holes are drilled you bolt assembly together and then just go back and forth running the nuts in until the wheel is off.

View attachment 162071View attachment 162069View attachment 162070View attachment 162068
Great idea Travis. Many of us have struggled getting these wheels off more than once. Any concerns about applying the pulling force through the bearing? Any chance to brinnell the bearing or is the force needed to pull so small compared to the load capability of the bearing that it is not of concern?

Can you reuse the wheel this way?

The bearings in this wheel on my sled were noisy last year when I had the skid out, but I put it back in since I didn't have a way to pull them off.

Anyone that removes these wheels, be sure to sand the PAINT off where the wheel/bearing sits. You can easily remove and install the wheels in the future. You may have to use some PB blaster over night. But if you get the paint off? You MIGHT not have to use a puller for future removal.

The bearings in this wheel on my sled were noisy last year when I had the skid out, but I put it back in since I didn't have a way to pull them off.
IMO. No

Drilling (2) 5/16” holes in the wheel is nothing to worry about. Put new bearings in wheels and certainly reuse them. My puller does not damage the wheels.

I also do not suggest removing paint for looser fit. The interference fit is the only thing that keeps the inner race from spinning on shaft. Sleds most times have spacers on shaft so when tunnel is drawn in against shaft there is compression against the inner race. Cat design does not allow for this so interference fit is needed.

Is there a recommended brand for those? Looks like the bearing is: 6006 2rs

On the cat version at least, they want $30 for each. I don't know what brand those are. The wheel with the bearing and retainer is under $50. I'd think I could find a non-chinese version of that bearing for less. With this removal tool this should be a reasonable fix.

Great idea Travis. Many of us have struggled getting these wheels off more than once. Any concerns about applying the pulling force through the bearing? Any chance to brinnell the bearing or is the force needed to pull so small compared to the load capability of the bearing that it is not of concern?

Sorry I missed this. The force needed really isn't much at all to be concerned about from my experience. The battle has always been applying even force directly at the bearing so the wheel doesn't distort. Once you apply the even force right at the bearing, very little force is required to actually remove the wheel.

For those interested I have few sets in stock now and have added them to the online store.

I just used a air hammer with a chisel bit against the inner race and the bearing was off in about 2 seconds. No harm done to bearing or shaft.

All the upper wheels use a 6006 bearing so I made the assumption that the hub in all wheels would be same size. Turns out that the larger 7.125 wheels have a slightly bigger hub. I am revising the design so it will work with the larger wheels. If you bought the puller and have the larger wheels don't hesitate to reach out to me. I will get you the updated version.

Bought this tool this week after struggling with trying to get the c-clip off and then not having any luck with a punch to the bearing. I'm not much of a mechanic. This tool worked great and was easy to use. Wheels are off and I'll change bearings and put them back on.

Back