• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BATTERY issue

JCviper

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 SR Viper LTX-DX
YAHOO
jcstang06@yahoo.com
TWITTER
Jcgoblue2
So, right before I pull the trigger on a Battery Tender Jr.I go out to the garage to fire up the Viper. Forgetting that I didn't ride but a couple laps around the house last year. I put the key in, give it the first small turn to bring up the gauges. It makes a weird alarm sound like the reverse alarm and then starts flashing codes. I shut it off. Looked at the key like it was his fault. Gave it one more try, this time trying to crank and got nothing but more flashing codes along with the letter R on the screen for a second. Two different codes, both indicated low systemic voltage. Hooked up jumper cables, waited a few minutes and it fired right up. Disconnected one cable after a few and then it started to slowly die out. While it was hooked up, all the codes disappeared and it ran good. I rapped the throttle a little, disconnected one cable and that was it. Dead again. And codes back up.

My 2015 was delivered in late Summer 2014. It started fine. I went to fire it up in late fall and it cranked and cranked but no start. No codes though. Charged it and it had well over 12V. Tried to start it and it just cranked. I did get an error on my charger saying bad cell, but restarted the charger and it seemed to work. My dealer advised leaving it on the charger overnight, which I tried, but it kept giving a bad cell error. So I took it to the dealer and they agreed with the charger error. Replaced under warranty. Two seasons with the warranty replacement battery and no problem. I do keep it on a battery tender Jr. It always fires right up. So you might want to have that battery tested and make sure it's capable. Like I said, my bad one cranked the engine for quite a while but not enough juice to start it? Good luck, get er fixed before the snow flies......

Last edited:
Need full voltage to fire, otherwise it just cranks &cranks

Need full voltage to fire, otherwise it just cranks &cranks
Yep, goes along with the whole backfire/low voltage theory discussed on this forum too. Voltage drops to low at the start of cranking and suddenly the ECU "wakes up" causing a misfire. My EFI outboard on my pontoon does the same thing, if the voltage drops below ~10v while cranking due to a bad cell or undersized battery it won't fire even though it "sounds" like it turning over good. Typical EFI systems on cars will operate/fire properly down to ~9v cranking.

Back