• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

battery not charging

ltxbill

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 yamaha sr viper ltx se 1998 srx 600
Started sled tonight, notice only charging 12.1 volts. Check with volt meter to confirm. Disconnect battery for awhile. Started sled when to 14.2 volts for a moment then bad down to 12 volts. Check connections at voltage reg. both ok. Is the voltage regulator been a common problem.

Started sled tonight, notice only charging 12.1 volts. Check with volt meter to confirm. Disconnect battery for awhile. Started sled when to 14.2 volts for a moment then bad down to 12 volts. Check connections at voltage reg. both ok. Is the voltage regulator been a common problem.
No. Check fuses and stator connector too.

check your ground blocks as well.

Thought of you when I saw this. I also believe that some boost packs shut off on their own. Mine does. Its a pain in butt. Have to push a little button on cable to keep it activated. Would apply to our sleds also. From AC.

Using a Battery Boost Pack The regulator (P/N: 0824-082) can fail on 7000 and 9000 series snowmobiles when run using a boost pack. The condition that causes the failure is: No battery on vehicle; the battery wires are then connected to a boost pack. The vehicle is started and moved. The boost pack is disconnected before the vehicle is shut off. This will create a condition that will overload the voltage regulator, causing voltage regulator failure. A boost pack may be used to operate the vehicle for short times; however, the vehicle must be shut off via the key, emergency stop or tether prior to disconnecting the boost pack. A battery or boost pack must be connected at all times when the engine is running. This process should be followed for any Arctic Cat or Textron Off Road vehicle when using a boost pack to move the vehicle.

Checked the ohms of the stator wires to each other got .5 ohms. checked each stator wire to ground got 1.5 ohms. appears that the stator is bad. check wiring for rub through did not find any concern. do you believe that this is correct.

Checked the ohms of the stator wires to each other got .5 ohms. checked each stator wire to ground got 1.5 ohms. appears that the stator is bad. check wiring for rub through did not find any concern. do you believe that this is correct.
Stator should not be grounded so yea that’s not good. Please tell me you haven’t had a kickback and starter skipping? Hopefully not. If not I can check my stator for comparison if you like?

I bought the sled used from a private party, had the ecu updated never had any starter issues. Don"t know if he had any starter problems. Thanks

Thats going to be a bit. Taking wife out to local Fish Boil and Truck Pull. Should get it down that far this weekend though unless we can find someone else to check theirs? Anyone have the hood and airbox off right now and can help here?

All 3 leads should be open to ground, any reading is bad. .4 to .5 sounds right between wires. I found out the hard way, mine obviously had the gears changed but they (Yamaha owned demo sled) didn’t fish out all the broken teeth off the old gears. An old piece of tooth made it to the flywheel and took out the stator. I needed to get back out riding and the OEM stator was on backorder, so I installed a RMStator brand one for 1/2 the price. So far so good 1500 miles later.

All 3 leads should be open to ground, any reading is bad. .4 to .5 sounds right between wires. I found out the hard way, mine obviously had the gears changed but they (Yamaha owned demo sled) didn’t fish out all the broken teeth off the old gears. An old piece of tooth made it to the flywheel and took out the stator. I needed to get back out riding and the OEM stator was on backorder, so I installed a RMStator brand one for 1/2 the price. So far so good 1500 miles later.
You didn’t pursue warranty?

You didn’t pursue warranty?
It was kind of a strange deal when I bought it. It only had ~200 miles, was 3 years old, and was sold “as is” but still qualified for the new sled 0% 5 year financing deal as I was the first registered owner. The price was definitely an “as is” price at 5700$

Found my problem, took stator cover off. found outside of stator chewed up and inside of flywheel also. noticed 1/2 half of a tooth missing on starter idler gear. Looks like i have to send some money. Thanks everyone

Back