• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Battery Replacement for Apex/Attak

snomobubl

Extreme
I was charging my 5 year old battery and my charger is telling me its a little weak and probably due for replacement.

I have generally had very good luck with the YUASA batteries that come as OEM equipment on my sleds (The YUASA battery on my 2005 Doo is still going strong - even after being neglected and not trickle charged regularly throughout the off season - Unlike the Yamaha, the old Doo gets ridden hard and put away dirty! LOL). I also am not sure if "a battery is a battery" as I believe you generally get what you pay for and I have had some crappy lawn and garden batteries - maybe some of you experts can convince me differently.

Interested to hear from those who know batteries on battery options (balancing quality and cost). Looking to get a solid replacement that will give me several years of life and not leave me stranded in the woods (only to be identified in the spring by partial remains after being devoured by wolves).

While I have had ok luck with the YUASA batteries as well, they are a flooded lead acid battery which is very old technology. Brothers 2011 crapped a battery this year on the trail which left him stranded. The plates internally broke loose and shorted out and the battery cooked itself. There was zero warrenty with this problem, even though the sled was only 1 year old at the time. I have been using the "AGM" type batteries in my powersports equipment for about 6 years now, and believe them to be a better quality. I have been going to batteris plus and getting there best battery for the application, and it is usually cheaper than the YUASA ones, and better IMO. You can also do some searces for the lithium batteries, with some light weight technologies, but I have read some cold issues with these......not sure I am ready to jump on that band wagon yet.GEL Batteries may also be a good choice, but are usually heavier for the same amps

I have had to replace my battery the past two years. I'm done with the cheap Meijer bought batteries. They where replaced under warranty but that doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Every time I've gone with a cheap battery, which is usually due to time constraints, I've only been able to get one year out of it. In other words, when the machine was parked for the off season, when I return to it the following spring, the battery is toast and won't hold a charge. This has happened on several different machines, watercraft and atv's. When I remembered to put them on a trickle charger I would maybe get two seasons max. As you have, I have had very good luck with the stock Yamaha batteries and would just replace with that, unless there was a product that's clearly more durable and lasts longer, or I was looking for max weight reduction, which I'm sure there are but at what cost?

I've been using Braille batteries, namely the B106, which is smaller than both the Apex and Nytro OEM batteries, weighs only 6 pounds, and is an AGM type, which I also think is a better battery. I also use a NOCO Genius charger, which is similar to other maintainer type chargers, but can bring older, weaker batteries back better IMO.
The Braille costs around $120, but dropping around 6-7 additional pounds off the front of the sled is worth a little in my book too!

nate007 said:
I've been using Braille batteries, namely the B106, which is smaller than both the Apex and Nytro OEM batteries, weighs only 6 pounds, and is an AGM type, which I also think is a better battery. I also use a NOCO Genius charger, which is similar to other maintainer type chargers, but can bring older, weaker batteries back better IMO.
The Braille costs around $120, but dropping around 6-7 additional pounds off the front of the sled is worth a little in my book too!

What battery number did you get, nate? Thx!

The B106 is the ones I use, and it's actually made by Deka, so either one in my opinion is a good choice.

Yea I know a few Harley guys that can shake a battery to death real quick.They all run Dekas with good luck.

Back