• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bearing Behind Secondary Clutch on 2007

I think the only way to do this is to remove the shaft/gear box assembly and do it on the bench. I believe the bearing is pressed on from what i can tell.

Remove the bolts that secure the gearbox to the frame, the gear and circlips in the chain case, and the secondary clutch. You can then drive the shaft/gear box assembly to the left by tapping on the right hand side of the shaft until the gearbox comes off the frame. You will probably have to sacrifice the inner bearing retainer on the left hand side by cutting it off so you can slide the whole assembly out. I just stripped down a parts sled and this is the only way i could get it out.

Let me get this straight, is this the bearing that you would like to remove? (see photo 1)

If it is, then the job is much easier than it may look. The two bolts that hold the steel plate on the outside of the bulkhead (there are actually two plates, one on each side of the bearing, both are on the outside of the bulkhead/under the secondary clutch) have a nut on the inside of the bulkhead, next to the fuel tank.

If you can't get a wrench in there to keep the nuts from spinning, then you'd have to remove the fuel tank, so might as well check/clean/replace the plugs too if you can, but obviously that's up to you. Anyway, once you remove the two bolts and nuts from the bearing retainer plates, you will still need to loosen two Torx set screws that are holding the bearing onto the secondary shaft.

Seems like they can be very tight, possibly rusted in place, but they will need to be backed out. Then you should be able to slide the bearing off the shaft. It is not a press fit, but considering both the bearing and secondary shaft are steel, it's possible they could be somewhat rusted together. If they're not rusted together, you should be able to slide the old bearing off and put a new one on.

Or if you just want to try to repack the bearing in place, you should be able to get access to it once the outermost steel retainer plate is removed. Hopefully this helps, and good luck! :)

IMG_7224.JPG IMG_7323.JPG IMG_7329.JPG IMG_7352.JPG

Back