• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt Adjuster (OSP)

SideHogger

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Ltx-Le Sidewinder
I am getting my secondary machined tomorrow and need to know if I also need to shave off the same amount on my osp belt adjuster? If I don't, will the secondary just have more float?

I have been using the OSP secondary adjuster for 9K. I also had my secondary machined. I assume you mean having 2-4 MM taken off stub end for proper alignment?
I did not change anything on my OSP adjuster. Hope this helps

Helps tremendously! Thank you. Correct me if I'm wrong but by not machining OSP plug adjuster, does it make secondary have more float to it?

Thinking the OSP adjuster has float when used. Not sure about machining the OSP plug and its effects. I do know mine has worked whatever its doing as far as float.. LOL

I know if using the stock plug it needs to be machined too. Didn't know, obviously, about the OSP adjuster. Thanks...having 4mm removed and going to add 1mm washer for about 57.6 of offset.

I know if using the stock plug it needs to be machined too. Didn't know, obviously, about the OSP adjuster. Thanks...having 4mm removed and going to add 1mm washer for about 57.6 of offset.
That should be good. Are you using the Hurricane alignment tool?

The adjuster will compensate. You will just have to turn adjuster in farther to make contact with helix.

Thanks Travis. Will it float more by not shaving plug too. Have heard pros and cons of floating it and locking secondary so no float.

Last edited:
Thanks Travis. Will it float more by not shaving plug too. Have heard pros and cons of floating it and locking secondary so no float.
Just wanna know! lol Anybody? How are you guys getting more or less float?

I don't believe the OSP adjuster limits float so you will be set up exactly the same as you were previously. The only difference is you'll have to turn the adjuster in and set your belt deflection again. Travis makes an adjuster where you are able to either float it or lock it down. You may be confusing float with setting your belt deflection. They are two separate things.

I do understand that they are two separate things but want to understand how to float and how not to float and what the advantages are with either way? I'd like to add I really appreciate all the help on this forum! Goes a long way to making these Sidewinders as close to reliable as an Apex! If that's possible! lol:dunno:

Not 100% familiar with the osp adjuster but I will say, dont worry too much about the float. When I machined my clutch I did my plug as well just to keep the float the same as it was stock. I experimented a few times while out riding to see if I would like it better locked down or with full float. It made absolutely no difference either way on how the sled felt and not one bit of difference on belt temps either. I use a razorback belt temp gauge and any time I conduct any little tests like this I do it back to back so results arent skewed by trail conditions or weather etc. Im sure results may vary if a sled has alignment or other belt issues but I think if overall setup is good its a matter of preference how little or how much float you want.

Thanks Justinator! May I ask where your offset is at and did it help to reduce your offset, with your belt temps. I've tried to see where guys are at when using Hurricane alignment tool in another post but havent received any responses yet. Most guys using tool and not checking it after using.

Thanks Justinator! May I ask where your offset is at and did it help to reduce your offset, with your belt temps. I've tried to see where guys are at when using Hurricane alignment tool in another post but havent received any responses yet. Most guys using tool and not checking it after using.
I will try and measure it sometime in the next few days to see where I ended up after using the hurricane tool. I did not have the belt temp gauge before I did the alignment so I dont know how much machining the clutch helped. I blew an 8jp at 300 miles on eco trail sm tune. Next week I switched to ultimax and took care of alignment and updated flash to max 16 sm and everythings been fine since. No blown belts, heat, excesive dust etc. Ill try and get my measurement soon as I can.

Awesome Justinator, really appreciate all the help. Will be really interesting to see where it put it at. I do realize not all will be same but I think it was Knapp who said he runs his even less than 58mm. But dont quote me on that! lol

Back