• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt Adjusters/Change Tool for Sidewinder, Viper, Apex, Vector, Venture, RX-1, & Nytro

hibshman25

Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx dx
2018 snoscoot
Belt adjusters for Sidewinder and Viper have been on the market for few seasons now, but those designs are specific to just those two sleds and will not work on any of the Japan build sleds.

I've got an adjuster design that will work on almost all of the Japan built sleds except for the phazer. As machined it will fit the Viper and Sidewinder. If I drill out the M10 through hole to an M14 it will then fit the Apex/Vector/Venture sleds. If I drill it out to an M18 it will then work on the FX Nytro. With one design for machining, it will allow me to keep my costs down.

Here's a photo of it installed on my Sidewinder. More details to follow.

IMG_1071.JPG

Nice idea, Travis! How does the adjustment work, and can it be used to push the sheaves open for easy belt change?

Approximate price you have in mind?

Yes, it can be used for easy belt changes too. Still finalizing the whole set up. Once I have them done I'll post up a little video showing install and how it works.

Targeting a sell price in line with current ones on the market for sidewinder and vipers which are $90.

The center section, which I will call the core will be the only variable between different models. My plan is to offer cores too, so if down the road you want to swap the adjuster to a new sled you will only have to buy the core and not the whole adjuster. ;)!

what are they used for exactly? ive seen acouple different kinds for sale but don't know what it does.

I'm with you dennyboy. Also, will it work on the Venture Multi-Purpose. I only ask because it is the 'forgotten' Venture with the same engine as the Phazer.

I like how the action is picking up on the site, we have snow on the ground today.

The belt adjusters make setting belt deflection simple. If you'd ever had a sled squeal when sitting still the belt deflection is incorrect. A squeal means the belt is too tight. To adjust, the secondary would have to be removed and then washers removed from the 3 adjustment screws on backside. Taking washers out opens the secondary clutch and relieves a tight belt. The belt adjusters essentially open and close secondary clutch on the fly for quick adjustment. Correct deflection improves performance and belt life.

Since the adjusters can open the clutch they also allow for easy belt changes.

what are they used for exactly? ive seen acouple different kinds for sale but don't know what it does.

Last edited:
Awesome ill have to get one. No squeal but at 12k in sure she coukd be adjusted. I assume you leave it on once you get it set right?

Yes it stays in place all the time.

Belts strech and get narrower over use and results in loose belt. A loose belt can result in an abrupt engagement and also results in the sled pulling out in a taller gear as belt contact will be higher on primary and lower in secondary.

It can be adjusted via oem provisions, just not as convenient. if you want to learn more about the oem method I will gladly assist.

Awesome ill have to get one. No squeal but at 12k in sure she coukd be adjusted. I assume you leave it on once you get it set right?

when there ready i will order one doing it the oem was looks terrible haha

I'd be in for one for an Apex/Attak

I'm very intrigued by this. Especially since the 3 shim bolts on my venture keep wearing their way into the sheave so you eventually run out of washers to remove and have to get longer bolts. My question is, does the new adjuster allow for the small amount of side play of the secondary on the jackshaft, which I believe helps with belt alignment? I couldn't tell from the video.

Back