• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt installation

uofm

Expert
What is the secret? Twisting that secondary and trying to put the belt on by myself is struggle. Yes I am old

What is the secret? Twisting that secondary and trying to put the belt on by myself is struggle. Yes I am old
I think it sucks and if you put the orange secondary spring on your sled it's even worse. I have a OSP adjuster on my secondary with a screw that allows you to screw it in to spread the secondary. It works like the ones on Ski Doo. I have all kinds of pain in my hands and wrists from 40 years of working as a carpenter/contractor and trying to push that secondary apart and installing a belt is more than I can take.

Push in and twist the helex clockwise, and at the same time push belt into secondary. When the belt is deep enough into secondary pull the belt out of it at the bottom. Use the belt as a "tool" to hold open the secondary.

The barn of parts unit opens even easier

Do you have to readjust the belt deflection after turning it in to open the secondary? I have used the OSP and it works great and the adjuster never moves.
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
With one hand use box end on helix nut for a little extra leverage turn the clutch clockwise, other hand pushes the clutch in. Keep pushing the belt into the top part to keep clutches apart, once belt is pushed down far enough there should be enough slack to work the bottom of the belt around clutch and in. Little trial and error makes this fairly easy. First few times in the shop with lights on versus "middle of somewhere in pitch black" makes it easier practice too!

With one hand use box end on helix nut for a little extra leverage turn the clutch clockwise, other hand pushes the clutch in. Keep pushing the belt into the top part to keep clutches apart, once belt is pushed down far enough there should be enough slack to work the bottom of the belt around clutch and in. Little trial and error makes this fairly easy. First few times in the shop with lights on versus "middle of somewhere in pitch black" makes it easier practice too!

Yep this is the normal way of doing it and that's the way I have done it for years. The problem is I'm now 62 years old and my hands and wrists are always in pain from years and years of use. I'm one of those guys who used my fist for a hammer when I was too lazy to go get a hammer. Like I said before I can't do stuff like I used to because things hurt now that never used to when I was young. I use more tools now than ever and I do things the easiest way I can now with the least physical strain.

I think it sucks and if you put the orange secondary spring on your sled it's even worse. I have a OSP adjuster on my secondary with a screw that allows you to screw it in to spread the secondary. It works like the ones on Ski Doo. I have all kinds of pain in my hands and wrists from 40 years of working as a carpenter/contractor and trying to push that secondary apart and installing a belt is more than I can take.
Has that osp floating adjuster held up ok.
Like the threads for float adjustment and threads for the belt removal portion.
Just wondering because it looks kinda cheap not much material there. Looks like both threads wouldn't hold up to multiple uses? Just got it in the mail and i might return it and get the thunder products or barn o parts one. Any input? Sorry dont mean to hyjack this but this way is the easiest way to remove a belt especially if your strength is not all there and your clutch has a heavier spring. Get a tool.

Has that osp floating adjuster held up ok.
Like the threads for float adjustment and threads for the belt removal portion.
Just wondering because it looks kinda cheap not much material there. Looks like both threads wouldn't hold up to multiple uses? Just got it in the mail and i might return it and get the thunder products or barn o parts one. Any input?
I've used it a few times and so far it seems fine. I did clean up the end of the bolt used to open the secondary with a file. Now it doesn't even leave a mark on the hard plastic collar between the helix and adjuster. The Thunder Products adjuster would be my next choice. From what I can see on the BOP adjuster is you need to adjust your deflection every time you use it to remove your belt.

Just installed the BOP adjuster last night. I'm like XP123, @ 55 years old and working with my hands for so long I have no interest in muscling a secondary to change a belt. Work smarter not harder! Its an easy adjustment for the BOP unit so no biggie there.

Back