• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BELT PROBLEMS!!!

YamiRage07

Veteran
WAS OUT FOR A RIDE YESTERDAY AND HAD HAMMERED DOWN ON THE THROTTLE WHEN I THOUGHT I WAS ON A STRAIGHT AWAY AND THEN A SHARP TURN HAD COME UP AND HAD TO SLAM ON THE BRAKES WHEN I WAS COMING OUTTA THE THROTTLE AT THE SAME TIME AND HEARD A NOISE AND THE NOISE ENDED UP BEING MY BELT, ABOUT HALF OF MY BELT HAD BEEN TORN OFF FROM THE TOP HALF OF MY BELT...WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE????...THANKS FOR ANY REPLIES

In all my years of riding Yami's with the 8DN belt, I have never had one break or come apart in any way. They just slowly wear out.

HOW LONG HAVE YOU HAD THIS BELT!!? :tg:
Seriously though, perhaps this belt has been abused too much? Excessively worn? Harsh riding conditions? Out of alignment?

I HAVE A 07 RAGE AND I WENT THROUGH 2 BELTS IN 15 MILES LAST SEASON AND HAD TAKEN IT BACK TO THE DEALER AFTER THAT AND THEY SAID MY CLUTCHES WERE OUTTA ALIGHNMENT SO IT WAS THROWING THE BELT AND THEY SAID THEY FIXED IT AND NEVER HAD ANYMORE PROBLEMS AFTER THAT UNTIL YESTERDAY..THERES PROABLLY ABOUT 400 MAYBE 500 MILES ON THE BELT.

Not withstanding any abuse or misuse to a belt, most guys are getting many thousands of miles on their 8DN with stock clutch setups....I've only personally seen 1 8DN fail and that was after riding with the parking break on for a while (my DAD!)....Something doesn't seem right...

I had mine do the same thing. It was while running WFO from Cochrane to Timmins when it was about 5 deg above zero. They wouldn't warranty it. I tried.

Mine did the very same thing I was on the river behind the house. Was into it for a bit then let off to turn around and started to get back into it to head back and it blew apart still have some of the pieces. Glad I always have a few new ones standing by. I rode about 1000 miles on that belt and it had just over 900 when I bought the sled.

Mine did the very same thing I was on the river behind the house. Was into it for a bit then let off to turn around and started to get back into it to head back and it blew apart still have some of the pieces. Glad I always have a few new ones standing by. I rode about 1000 miles on that belt and it had just over 900 when I bought the sled.

YamiRage07, why don't you check your alignment? Not only that, but check the center to center distance as well. There should be several posts here, you'll just have to do a search.

Also, were your clutches cleaned before the season started? What kind of shape were the bushings and slider buttons and shims in?

If it's still under warranty, I'd recommend taking it back to your Dealer and explain your disatisfaction.

Also, please remove the CAPS lock button on your keyboard please, thanks.

UP Brett said:

My belt had about 2800 kms at the time.

well last season i had blown 2 belts and had taken it back to the dealer and they said my clutches were outta alighnment and said they fixed it and warrantied me a belt. then today i stopped at the dealer and told them the problem and said it would be like 1 or 2 weeks before they could fix it and werent even sure if yamaha would warrantie me another belt seeing how they already did it once before so iam just going to have my friend look at it and see what he says

I average 5000-7000km's every year, and have never broken a belt. I wrecked a belt once getting stuck in slush, and thats it. My 2001 Venture has about 12000km's on its 8DN belt. When starting your frozen sled/suspension, once engine is warmed, with track off the ground, give it a good shot of gas, to snap everything loose. If you only give it a bit of gas, and get things loosened slowly, this will result in premature belt wear.

I heard someone has a new belt out thats like $90.00 or so and its made just for the 4 stroke torque..is this true?? I've only been getting about 300-400 miles out of my last 3 belts..I may have to check out a couple things and also make sure I start out with clean clutches with no lubricants reaching the belt area as this could cause some slippage and extra heat.

I have blown 2 0n my 05 RS Venture the last one took out my lower coolant hose . I made a guard over it so that won't happen again . I quit going over 80MPH and have been ok since then ,also no more drag racing . Thats the only thing that has ever gone wrong ,three years 9000KM .
If I was you I would definitely make a guard over that lower hose ,might save you a long walk and a tow .

I had a belt come apart last year as described in the original post, however my belt had over 9,000 miles on it.

The temp was -9 degF and I went to a high power setting on a long stretch of road.

I felt putting over 9,000 miles on a belt was pretty good belt life. ;)!

Back