• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt Squeal at Idle/Hard Shifting Fix

VK_al

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 VK Professional
2023 ZR 200
Just thought I would post how to fix this issue. I had very bad belt squeal at idle and it was very hard to shift from any gear.
I replaced the 3 bolts for belt tension on the back of the secondary clutch. They were used about 1/8" and my belt tension was way too tight.
No more belt squeal and shifts perfectly. My sled has 7800 kms and I'm always towing something.

Hey there, im having the EXACT same issue except I have no clue what I’m doing. This makes my situation that much worse. My belt squeaks and the can’t shift in to any gears when the sled is running. Now, which 3 bolts? ( on the front clutch or the back one?) and did you order the new bolts from the dealer? My sled had 10k KM. Thanx

Item #8. There are 3 bolts. On the back side of the secondary clutch. And yes I ordered from the dealer.
3084434C-2D47-4430-A4B7-5B1ED660E5E8.png

Quick fix until you have the new ones is to use the bolts you have without the 1mm washer.

Oh ok, so this is the clutch closest to the rear of the sled? I looked back there with a flashlight just now and couldn’t see them. I guess I have to take it apart.

Yes its the one closest to the rear. You ha e to remove the bolt that holds the clucth in place. #24 in the above picture. Torque spec when you put it back on is 46 ft-lbs

Yes its the one closest to the rear. You ha e to remove the bolt that holds the clucth in place. #24 in the above picture. Torque spec when you put it back on is 46 ft-lbs
Ok, that sounds pretty straight forward. So once that bolt is out, does the whole clip just slide off? It can’t be that easy, is it? Sorry for so many dumb #*$&@ questions. This will be my first time doing this.

yes the whole cluch should just slide off.

Hey there, one more quick question, now that I know how to take the secondary clutch off, does the primary clutch come off the same way? One bolt in the middle and the whole thing just slips off?

Do you ever grease the shafts the clutches sit on? And what’s the torque on the primary clutch bolt? ( it not reverse thread is it?).

Thanx in advance for the info.

Hey there, one more quick question, now that I know how to take the secondary clutch off, does the primary clutch come off the same way? One bolt in the middle and the whole thing just slips off?

Do you ever grease the shafts the clutches sit on? And what’s the torque on the primary clutch bolt? ( it not reverse thread is it?).

Thanx in advance for the info.
No, the primary requires a puller to remove.

The primary bolt is normal thread. If the clutch is removed, torque is 90lbs, then loosen about one turn then torque back to 55lbs. If the clutch isn't removed simply torque to 55lbs.

Yes, the secondary shaft should be well greased.

This may be an unnecessary precaution but seeing you are a new here ... do not turn the primary backwards. Bad things could happen.

This may be an unnecessary precaution but seeing you are a new here ... do not turn the primary backwards. Bad things could happen.
Oh crap, I just took everything apart ( took off the secondary and I was checking things out and spinning everything I could spin. Got everything back together and fired it up. All seems ok.

You know what though, I’m finding A LOT of loose and rattling rivets all over the place. It’s crazy!!! Can the sled fall apart??? I guess you have to drill the loose ones out and change them right? How can it do that. I don’t get it.

I few new questions now lol. While I was doing my oil change, I had the belt off and I could rotate the secondary backwards and forwards about 1/4 turn before it engaged with something. ( before it stopped in either direction) is this normal for a second to have that much free play back and forth. The belt was off at the time.

Back