• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt temp gauge

Anybody try this one
DE0745EB-42FE-489D-BC9D-5D40B129ED2F.jpeg
$45.00 Works on my sled.

how's it take the temp reading? Infrared?

I just checked into it. It is simply an ambient air temperature reading, not infrared, so it does not really take the temp of the belt but the air around the sensor. Essentially worthless unless you want to know the air temp around the clutches or under hood.

From Amazon.
Question:
Is this one infrared or does it just measure the ambient air temperature in the housing?

Answer:
This will measure the ambient air temp inside of the CVT cover. Trail Tech does not offer an infrared sensor.
By Customer Service Manufacturer on September 29, 2020

Start it around 6 min if you want to see the difference. SXS says don't waste you money on a air temp guage, and that's on a utv in the air outlet. On a sled forget about it.

Last edited:
My Razor belt temp gage so far has been just an interesting thing to watch on my Winder. I have only seen it indicate a max of @ 200F when shut down after a multi mile hyper speed rail bed run. I honestly can not claim it has ever effected my riding style or saved me a belt as I have not seen any extreme temps. On one of our multi mile high mph runs, one Nytro, One Sidewinder 8JP, and one 850 Doo blew belts...I had no belt issues running an 8DN.

I just checked into it. It is simply an ambient air temperature reading, not infrared, so it does not really take the temp of the belt but the air around the sensor. Essentially worthless unless you want to know the air temp around the clutches or under hood.

From Amazon.
Question:
Is this one infrared or does it just measure the ambient air temperature in the housing?

Answer:
This will measure the ambient air temp inside of the CVT cover. Trail Tech does not offer an infrared sensor.
By Customer Service Manufacturer on September 29, 2020

Start it around 6 min if you want to see the difference. SXS says don't waste you money on a air temp guage, and that's on a utv in the air outlet. On a sled forget about it.

Thanks for doing the research...

Just so people don't think an IR belt temp gage is the way to prevent all belt explosions, I exploded a number of stock OEM Cat belts even with the gage. Some let go even at low temps (even as low as 125 deg F). My conclusion was the belt just didn't have enough strength (even with perfect alignment and breaking it in exactly as per manufacturer's spec) to withstand the load from my 280HP tune and lots of long carbide studs. Once I finally settled on the Timken XS belt, it changed the whole game. The XS belt proved to be up to the task as long as temps didn't exceed the safe zone. The only XS belt I've blown up since was a long (about 22 miles) ditch ride along a major highway in 3+ feet of snow. It finally let go after 235 deg F. Sled speed low and lots of deep snow = not much air coming through vents = belt temp HOT.

Are you guys buying the non-dimmable or the dimmable version of the Razorback belt temp gauge? If you are using the non-dimmable, is it overly bright at night? If I install one, it would be just to the left of the gauge pod so it will be pointed right at my face at night so I don't want it to be overly bright at night.

I bought the dimmable and run it almost on the lowest setting. The bright setting is really bright in the shop have never seen it outside at night. I hate lights glaring at me in the dark.

I also customize the warning light setting to be a bit lower. I wouldn’t do that again the factory setting are probably just perfect. The temp readings I get are quite high for some reason like easily get it up to 220. Spoiled the fun till I started kinda ignoring it to a point. Since I installed it I’d be well over a 1000 miles on the same belt towards the end of last season tried to run it hard enough to blow and never did. I think it’s worthwhile but I had a learning curve to figure out what it is reading. When it would tell 200 plus the hand held infrared when stopped would get me 170ish shive temps

Definitely get the dimmable

Are you guys buying the non-dimmable or the dimmable version of the Razorback belt temp gauge? If you are using the non-dimmable, is it overly bright at night? If I install one, it would be just to the left of the gauge pod so it will be pointed right at my face at night so I don't want it to be overly bright at night.

I have the nondimmable. My dad just installed the dimmable. 100% the dimmable is the way to go. Very impressed with it.

I got the dimmable, its very bright and mine is always on lowest setting.

Do these really make a difference so that you don't blow as many belts?

...or is it just another thing to look at on the dash?

I found my Razor gage most useful when my sled was new and I was dialing in the clutching ect. It definitely gave me the confidence to not worry about belt issues.
Since I got everything where I want it the gage has just become something else to look at. Is interesting to see how different conditions effect the belt temps and would show an issue that effected belt temps.
I always see the highest belt temps when stopped after a long high speed run or playing hard in deep snow.

I look at it all the time. Totally helps when riding long stretches or deep snow. The main thing I see it do is prevent me from just "shutting down" after a long run. That's when temps really peak. Believe it or not its best to ride at 70MPH for a while after a long top speed run vs just pulling over. I run RR grades in the UP for miles @ 300hp/lots of studs/high driver weight :) which does pressure temps with any clutching.

The AIM IBTS looks like another nice option too...
Screenshot_20220105-081837_eBay.jpg

Back